The Student Room Group

Is Home Economics seen as a dossy A Level?

Not taking my a level options for a few months yet, but I figured it was a good idea to be prepared. I'm already 100% decided on biology, chemistry and French for 3 of my subjects, but stuck on the 4th.
I love home economics and am very good at it, but concerned about how it looks to universities? Obviously I'm not sure how my AS Levels will go, so I don't know if I'll drop a subject at the end of year 12. If I do, it'd be H.E.
I'm also considering history, economics or govt&politics as my 4th. (And being seriously pressured by both my art and maths teachers to do their subject, but not a chance:wink:)
I have a pretty big list of possible ideas for careers/degrees, all science related (biomed sciences followed by post grad medicine the top choice, also radiography, nursing and dietetics) so it doesn't matter if the subject isn't relevant, I'm just intrigued as to what would look best to a university? I'm thinking on the level of Queens, Bristol, Nottingham, not Oxbridge standard. & also your opinions on my choices would be nice :smile:
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Not taking my a level options for a few months yet, but I figured it was a good idea to be prepared. I'm already 100% decided on biology, chemistry and French for 3 of my subjects, but stuck on the 4th.
I love home economics and am very good at it, but concerned about how it looks to universities? Obviously I'm not sure how my AS Levels will go, so I don't know if I'll drop a subject at the end of year 12. If I do, it'd be H.E.
I'm also considering history, economics or govt&politics as my 4th. (And being seriously pressured by both my art and maths teachers to do their subject, but not a chance:wink:)
I have a pretty big list of possible ideas for careers/degrees, all science related (biomed sciences followed by post grad medicine the top choice, also radiography, nursing and dietetics) so it doesn't matter if the subject isn't relevant, I'm just intrigued as to what would look best to a university? I'm thinking on the level of Queens, Bristol, Nottingham, not Oxbridge standard. & also your opinions on my choices would be nice :smile:

Don't do home economics, if anything take on another soft subject anything but that.
Reply 2
Oh god. Home economics shouldn't even be an A level.
dnt so wat Connor did and swap mandarin 4 home economics ok? x
Reply 4
Original post by Miracle Day
dnt so wat Connor did and swap mandarin 4 home economics ok? x

Righto :wink:
I'm guessing from the replies H.E is going to be a waste of time :wink:
I'm thinking history or politics? I really don't want to take maths and then be doing three science subjects and French (and there's no point, I'm not doing undergrad medicine), I'd probably die, so humanities seems a safe bet. The other option is ICT, but I'm not doing that at GCSE so it'd be a huge step up considering I've done no ICT since year 7...
Don't take ICT for your own sanity
Reply 6
Original post by contradicta
Don't take ICT for your own sanity

Gotcha :wink: though I'm taking chemistry, that's insane enough...
My dad's doing a Computer Science degree at the moment, my god it looks complicated. Steering clear of English lit and Art only because I'm too lazy for the workload, and gcse art is ruining my life enough.
you do know that post grad medicine is harder to get into than undergraduate medicine? There are also funding issues. If you really want to end up in medicine go for the undergraduate degree. If you aren't sure than Biomedical is fine.

Don't do home economics, universities don't rate it. Any of your other thought are Ok but maths counts for any degree so anyone capable of doing well would be sensible to take it. If you were thinking of radiography you might find it easier if you'd done physics but it isn't a requirement. Art has a heavy coursework requirement, not to be entered on lightly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by parentlurker
you do know that post grad medicine is harder to get into than undergraduate medicine? There are also funding issues. If you really want to end up in medicine go for the undergraduate degree. If you aren't sure than Biomedical is fine.

Don't do home economics, universities don't rate it. Any of your other thought are Ok but maths counts for any degree so anyone capable of doing well would be sensible to take it. If you were thinking of radiography you might find it easier if you'd done physics but it isn't a requirement. Art has a heavy courework requirement, not to be entered on lightly.

I'm aware, I've done my research, but I've got no chance at undergrad medicine because I didn't take physics at GCSE. Can't see any other way around it :/
I'm aware, I've done my research, but I've got no chance at undergrad medicine because I didn't take physics at GCSE. Can't see any other way around it :/

Take a look at the medicine wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

You'd need to check with the medical schools, preferably at open days, but while Imperial seems to be definitely out I don't think they would all be as you've obviously done other science subjects. The other possibilities are picking up physics GSCE while doing A level (not easy but quite a few people do pick up GSCEs) and a medicine with foundation year course but you'd probably be doing too much science at A level for those http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Don't know who told you a lack of Physics GCSE would prevent medicine but never trust anything said about medicine unless it comes from the medical school (and even then ask two people). The wiki here is usually pretty good though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I didn't even know it existed
Reply 11
Take a look at the medicine wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

You'd need to check with the medical schools, preferably at open days, but while Imperial seems to be definitely out I don't think they would all be as you've obviously done other science subjects. The other possibilities are picking up physics GSCE while doing A level (not easy but quite a few people do pick up GSCEs) and a medicine with foundation year course but you'd probably be doing too much science at A level for those http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Don't know who told you a lack of Physics GCSE would prevent medicine but never trust anything said about medicine unless it comes from the medical school (and even then ask two people). The wiki here is usually pretty good though.

Really? I've been continuously told by teachers at school that anyone who hasn't done 3 sciences at GCSE or double award hasn't a chance at undergrad and that they won't even consider your application.
I'm also doing further maths at gcse and that has a mechanics module so I'm sure that helps too. I'm predicted mostly A*s and a couple of As, and already have an A* in maths so I'm ok on the mental grades front :wink: Do you think if I took biology, chemistry, maths and French I would be in with a chance?
Thankyou so much for the help, it really seems ridiculous that a choice I made at 13 would affect what I do for the rest of my life!
Reply 12
Original post by Plainview
I didn't even know it existed

Hahaha neither did I until I moved to Northern Ireland :biggrin:
I've talked to my parents and people at school and it really does seem a ridiculous idea and a bit of a waste of time. Even a B at AS in maths for example would look better than a full A* A Level in H.E :cool:
Reply 13
I've just taken a look at the wiki, I've been enlightened. I'm so pleased. Even with what would be my top choice of uni, Bristol, it only requires 2 sciences (which I'm doing, biology and chemistry). Keele and St Andrews are on there too. Chuffed.
I guess the fact I'm so excited about this proves I really ought to give applying for medicine a good go.

Thankyou :biggrin:

Update:
After my revelation, I looked at the websites of a few of the universities which don't directly mention GCSE physics in the wiki. A few were slightly misleading, Keele, for example does state on its website that it requires physics or double award.
I did however email Bristol Uni, who confirmed to me that as long as you offer biology and chemistry at GCSE at grades AA, an application from them would be considered :smile:
I have now also emailed Barts, Durham, St. Andrews and Brighton&Sussex. I'll be back once they all reply. I hope this is somewhat helpful for other people in my situation!
(edited 10 years ago)
I've just taken a look at the wiki, I've been enlightened. I'm so pleased. Even with what would be my top choice of uni, Bristol, it only requires 2 sciences (which I'm doing, biology and chemistry). Keele and St Andrews are on there too. Chuffed.
I guess the fact I'm so excited about this proves I really ought to give applying for medicine a good go.

Thankyou :biggrin:

Update:
After my revelation, I looked at the websites of a few of the universities which don't directly mention GCSE physics in the wiki. A few were slightly misleading, Keele, for example does state on its website that it requires physics or double award.
I did however email Bristol Uni, who confirmed to me that as long as you offer biology and chemistry at GCSE at grades AA, an application from them would be considered :smile:
I have now also emailed Barts, Durham, St. Andrews and Brighton&Sussex. I'll be back once they all reply. I hope this is somewhat helpful for other people in my situation!

Can you update the wiki. Requirements at medical schools do change and as I said before everything needs to be checked with the schools direct. However it is considerably more accurate than many teachers.

Even if you needed physics its perfectly possible for students predicted A*s and As at GSCE to pick up later. Choices made at 13 don't have to blight your life. I would recommend you do this to widen your choices/ make your application more competitive although I don't believe it's essential. Work experience is more important and you'd need to start arranging that. It will also test if this is what you really want - medicine is a hard course and a long one, you need to be absolutely sure. Long term volunteering is helpful. You, and your parents, also need to make sure that your reference is suitable if you decide to apply for medicine as your school may not realise it should go beyond the academic to cover suitability for the course.

If you do decide to go for it then your fifth choice should also be chosen carefully as some are more relevant for graduate medicine.
Reply 15
Can you update the wiki. Requirements at medical schools do change and as I said before everything needs to be checked with the schools direct. However it is considerably more accurate than many teachers.

Even if you needed physics its perfectly possible for students predicted A*s and As at GSCE to pick up later. Choices made at 13 don't have to blight your life. I would recommend you do this to widen your choices/ make your application more competitive although I don't believe it's essential. Work experience is more important and you'd need to start arranging that. It will also test if this is what you really want - medicine is a hard course and a long one, you need to be absolutely sure. Long term volunteering is helpful. You, and your parents, also need to make sure that your reference is suitable if you decide to apply for medicine as your school may not realise it should go beyond the academic to cover suitability for the course.

If you do decide to go for it then your fifth choice should also be chosen carefully as some are more relevant for graduate medicine.

Thankyou for all your help :smile: I'll fix the wiki as soon as I hear back from the other unis I have emailed. They aren't all necessarily unis I would apply for, they are just the first few I thought of.

Do you know how I would go about picking up a physics GCSE during my A Levels? Obviously taking it through online learning, however that is ridiculously expensive.
I do know a girl in the year above me has just started AS physics without GCSE, so it could be sorted through school I suppose.

I'm going to start organising work experience as soon as I can. I know how tricky it can be to set that up, especially as where I live there are a huge amount of grammar schools, including my school, and therefore a large number of students applying for medicine. I believe my school will be able to sort out the reference for sure. I am just about to start volunteering at an elderly care home for my DofE, so that could be a long term thing.

I know it's still a way off, but do you think I should apply for biomed sciences as my 5th option, or am I better off going for 5 medical schools?

Like I said before, thank you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Do you know how I would go about picking up a physics GCSE during my A Levels? Obviously taking it through online learning, however that is ridiculously expensive.
I do know a girl in the year above me has just started AS physics without GCSE, so it could be sorted through school I suppose.

I know it's still a way off, but do you think I should apply for biomed sciences as my 5th option, or am I better off going for 5 medical schools?

You can't apply to 5 medical schools. If you have a 5th choice it has to be something else and is often biomedical science( but doesn't have to be, some do e.g. pharmacology). If you are lucky the university will allow you to send a separate personal statement but biomed departments are used to picking up disappointed medics. One or two offer either transfer to medicine for a few or guaranteed interview for postgrad medicine.

Online learning wouldn't be enough as you need to do practicals but needn't be expensive. Check threads here for cheap/free resources like the Khan academy. Check with the school if your timetable would allow you to go to any GSCE lessons or if they will at least help with practicals. If you have already done mechanics you could possibly pick the rest up from textbooks. If there is a local university you could easily find a tutor at student rates. Good luck.
Reply 17
You can't apply to 5 medical schools. If you have a 5th choice it has to be something else and is often biomedical science( but doesn't have to be, some do e.g. pharmacology). If you are lucky the university will allow you to send a separate personal statement but biomed departments are used to picking up disappointed medics. One or two offer either transfer to medicine for a few or guaranteed interview for postgrad medicine.

Online learning wouldn't be enough as you need to do practicals but needn't be expensive. Check threads here for cheap/free resources like the Khan academy. Check with the school if your timetable would allow you to go to any GSCE lessons or if they will at least help with practicals. If you have already done mechanics you could possibly pick the rest up from textbooks. If there is a local university you could easily find a tutor at student rates. Good luck.

That's handy to know wrt the 4 medical schools thing, thank you :smile:

I think I'm going to concentrate on doing the very best I can in my A Levels & UKCAT/BMAT if it's needed, get some good work experience under my belt and write a good personal statement, rather than going through the extra stress of a physics GCSE which I've been told by both Brighton&Sussex and Bristol (especially B&S) won't affect my application to them. I already am so busy, I don't want to jeopardise doing as well as I want in my a levels.

Thanks again, I'm sure I sound really thick to you...I'm not, I promise :wink:

Thanks again, I'm sure I sound really thick to you...I'm not, I promise :wink:

Not thick, just under-researched and a little too trusting of your teachers (not uncommon and not a serious fault :smile:) Potential medics soon become experts on the application process. The most important thing in any medical application is 3 A grades so you have to make sure of those. Also the work experience may show you that medicine isn't for you, meaning that the effort to do Physics could be wasted.

Quick Reply

Latest