Female MMA fan - do you think it's weird? Watch

ShadowWolf21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, I was having a conversation with some of my new friends, and I mentioned that I'd missed a UFC and Bellator show recently (because I'd been at Taekwon-do training), and was asking someone who the winners were. The reaction I received was, to say the least, strange.

Some of the girls looked at me as if I'd stood on their foot, the others didn't know what I was talking about, and the boys seemed to be mixed between impressed and confused. Is it weird when women like MMA (if you didn't know, that's Mixed Martial Arts)?

I know people think it's violent (and yes, it can be), but I've always enjoyed watching MMA championships, as I'm big on martial arts and wanted to compete a few times myself, but I'm not trained enough yet to do so (nor do I think my lecturers or parents would approve, as I'm a student radiographer!)

I'm just wondering why people find it so strange that I like it? Many of the girls when they found out what it was were like "Oh, that's a bit... odd, you don't look like that type of person", and the boys seemed to want to test my knowledge to see if I was lying to seem interesting.

Anybody else on here an MMA fan? And do you think it's strange women can like contact sports?
gogoge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
women play rugby I believe, so why not. the ufc has women competitions now also I think. though I reckon if theres a ufc fight were some girl gets their nose broken on the mat and blood spurts everywhere- it will be wierd thing to watch on tv.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
(Original post by gogoge)
women play rugby I believe, so why not. the ufc has women competitions now also I think. though I reckon if theres a ufc fight were some girl gets their nose broken on the mat and blood spurts everywhere- it will be wierd thing to watch on tv.
Yeah, see I can understand why people think women getting bloodied is weird. I personally wouldn't enjoy that, but when I'm sparring I love it (not getting bloodied; the sparring)! Maybe women sparring is difficult to watch?

It's not so much they found my want to train weird, it's the fact I actually enjoyed MMA. The reaction was almost "Oh dear! How dreadful that you enjoy another's pain being televised and want to participate! How very common of you... That's for men, not ladies! Practice by all means, but that is all!" It's mad!

To be fair, one of my female friends enjoys the sound of it, too, so maybe I'll bring her round to watching it.

I think there must still be a stigma that 'fighting' is masculine and purely for the manly men out there. I can't help but respect the women who compete, as you know they could hold their own if threatened!
gogoge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShadowWolf21)
Yeah, see I can understand why people think women getting bloodied is weird. I personally wouldn't enjoy that, but when I'm sparring I love it (not getting bloodied; the sparring)! Maybe women sparring is difficult to watch?

It's not so much they found my want to train weird, it's the fact I actually enjoyed MMA. The reaction was almost "Oh dear! How dreadful that you enjoy another's pain being televised and want to participate! How very common of you... That's for men, not ladies! Practice by all means, but that is all!" It's mad!

To be fair, one of my female friends enjoys the sound of it, too, so maybe I'll bring her round to watching it.

I think there must still be a stigma that 'fighting' is masculine and purely for the manly men out there. I can't help but respect the women who compete, as you know they could hold their own if threatened!
I watched some womens boxing and a mma fight I have to say I found the standup boring, it was very slow and low impact - not sure theyd have the power to do much facial damage- hwoever was quite impressed with some of the ground work and jujitsu on show.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
(Original post by gogoge)
I watched some womens boxing and a mma fight I have to say I found the standup boring, it was very slow and low impact - not sure theyd have the power to do much facial damage- hwoever was quite impressed with some of the ground work and jujitsu on show.
Yeah, like I said, personally it's not my thing. The male fights are faster in pace and much more engaging!
eXemp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tbf i would be amazed as well. First reaciton would be holy ... she watches!?!?!? Then ill just act like its all normal.. but you would notice.

MMA is extremely vicious and violent , wouldnt have thought women watch that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads