The Student Room Group

Ma social work 2014

Scroll to see replies

I live in North London.
Unfortunately, I was not nominated for the bursary.
Thank God I have a wealthy partner who has offered to help.
I'm.still thinking of deferring for a year to.work.and save as I have relying on people. :frown:
Hi

I am applying for the masters which starts next year, i was wondering what kinds of experiences you have gained before applying and also how much? (days/hours ect.)

Thank you :smile:
Original post by char123lotte
Hi

I am applying for the masters which starts next year, i was wondering what kinds of experiences you have gained before applying and also how much? (days/hours ect.)

Thank you :smile:

I have been working in a munincipal social office for about two years full time as a social counselor before applying for masters degree. I am not a qualified social worker yet (BA in Social Services).
are you currently doing the masters then?

Ah okay most of my experience is in education so although i have worked with young people and families it is really limited to education! finding it hard to get some experience more directly related to social work...i think i may have to look into volunteering which is hard to do alongside a job!

i have also heard its quite hard to get a job afterwards?
I'm starting the masters next January, been working for two years after getting my BA.

You should definetly find time for some volunteering if you wish to study social work. It's good to get experience on working with vulnerable groups like older persons or disabled. Though there are vulnerable children too, so that's one way to go.

I actually can't comment on the job market situation, I'm just moving to UK from over seas :biggrin: But this article caught my eye just the other day: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2014/11/14/first-increase-social-work-vacancies-four-years-sees-almost-one-10-posts-vacant/
Hi. Anyone currently doing the msc at Portsmouth. Can you tell me what the timetable is like. Thanks.
Reply 266
Original post by Hereisdenise
Hi. Anyone currently doing the msc at Portsmouth. Can you tell me what the timetable is like. Thanks.

It's full time from sep-jan we were in uni nearly everyday. From Feb-May you are on placement tue-friday and in uni on a Monday.
Original post by Abs85
It's full time from sep-jan we were in uni nearly everyday. From Feb-May you are on placement tue-friday and in uni on a Monday.

That's great thanks. Can just book my childminder everyday now.
Hope it's going well for you.
Hello , I have been invited to attend an interview and group discussion at London met and I was wondering if you know what they are doing this yr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending