Turn on thread page Beta

I don't like my job:-( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I started my first shift yesterday as a volunteer in a charity shop, I was there for 3 hours and all I seemed to do was stand around because there's so many volunteers there and not much for us to do, I've been put down for a 5 hour shift today and in total I've been put down for 8 hours during the week. I'm really dreading going in as yesterday it dragged and I really didn't like it. Don't get me wrong the staff there are lovely there's just not much to do and I don't think I can cope with spending 8 hours a week standing around doing nothing. And it wasn't just because it was my first day all of the volunteers seemed to have nothing to do. I really want to leave it but since I've only done one shift I feel like I should stick it out a bit longer so it looks better on my cv and uni application, just how much longer should I stay there for?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like it, quit. Otherwise stop moaning and get on with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emilyhodg96)
    Ok so I started my first shift yesterday as a volunteer in a charity shop, I was there for 3 hours and all I seemed to do was stand around because there's so many volunteers there and not much for us to do, I've been put down for a 5 hour shift today and in total I've been put down for 8 hours during the week. I'm really dreading going in as yesterday it dragged and I really didn't like it. Don't get me wrong the staff there are lovely there's just not much to do and I don't think I can cope with spending 8 hours a week standing around doing nothing. And it wasn't just because it was my first day all of the volunteers seemed to have nothing to do. I really want to leave it but since I've only done one shift I feel like I should stick it out a bit longer so it looks better on my cv and uni application, just how much longer should I stay there for?
    Id stick it out for 2/3 weeks or so. Just to give yourself time to settle in and get used to it all. You never know, the dodgy first time you had might just have been a one off or something and it might be better.
    If after 2/3 weeks, you still arent enjoying it, then you could leave or stick it out until you find somewhere else to volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    Stick it out definitely. And today is saturday, right? Saturday always goes so much quicker than weekdays, it might not be as bad.

ReputationRep:
    Guess would give it a few weeks. Also keep in mind what you're hoping to gain from it-if it doesn't fulfil these conditions start looking elsewhere.

But do tell someone - please don't just not show up (manager/whoever is in charge of volunteers) - ' I was hoping to gain xyz-do you think there will be an opportunity for me to do this?'

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    You'll find that first days in new jobs are pretty much always awful, regardless of what you're doing. They're either dull, confusing, too quiet or full of useless induction nonsense. I've had over a dozen jobs and not a single enjoyable first day.

As you learn more of the processes you'll be able to pretty much wander around doing whatever needs doing, and you won't need to rely on management giving you stuff to do. Some people are content to sit and do nothing, and it's sometimes a nice option, but there is always something to do in places like charity shops. Within a week or so I imagine you'll be as busy as you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar job where people don't seem to notice I have nothing to do. I just subtly ask the supervisor/manager "is there anything you need help with?"

ReputationRep:
    I used to volunteer in a charity shop and I hated my first few shifts! I didn't like the people much, I thought it was boring etc but I stuck it out and the woman I ended up usually working with is one of my favourite people I've ever met despite her being one of the ones I didn't think I'd like. Also, once id been there a few weeks I couldn't wait for my shift and I wish that I got paid for it as it would have been the perfect job for me. What I'm getting at is you have to stick it out because it might surprise you and turn out to be great. And from my experience a charity shop being too busy that there's nothing to do is very rare, it was probably a one off as they wouldn't have taken you on if they had enough staff. Maybe on your next shift there will be hardly anyone there and you'll be wishing you had nothing to do! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I would be choosy in who you volunteer for.

The better charitable organisations organise proper programmes where the volunteers gain skills in the various areas of the shop.

If you are stood around doing nothing all-day, it's a waste of your time. Give it a few shifts though. The shop management might just be slow in organising new volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    I say stick around at least another week or so and see how things go. It was your first shift, no first shift is going to be amazing. If you continue to feel this way then I guess leave. :confused: Charity shops can be good to volunteer in though. So many different kinds of people come in. It looks good in your CV also. Perhaps try a different charity shop if you don't like the current one your in.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that's pathetic. Try having a 9-5 job where you actually have some responsibility, where if you get something wrong it's not Mrs. Jones's change that's incorrect it's £100,000 of contract down the drain, then come back to me and cry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Sorry that's pathetic. Try having a 9-5 job where you actually have some responsibility, where if you get something wrong it's not Mrs. Jones's change that's incorrect it's £100,000 of contract down the drain, then come back to me and cry about it.
    I wasn't crying about it and it's not irresponsible. I want a proper job but I can't get one that'll work around my college time table. I don't see how I'm being irresponsible I got the job to make my cv and applications look good and I didn't know what to do because I wanted people's opinion on how long I should stick it out for because I don't want it to be a waste of time and I can't use the manager as a future reference. And am I hell crying about it, I'm asking for advice. I never complained and said it was hard and if anything I said it's the complete opposite which is why I don't like working there. ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Are people not allowed to have feelings? Just because there are much worse situations doesn't mean that OP's feelings have no worth. Essentially saying 'well it could be worse' (although in a very impolite way) doesn't actually get the issues dealt with

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts are you based i know a lot of good volunteering opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In County Durham

ReputationRep:
    Oh im based in herts and had volunteering opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, had training for volunteering today and started working but I didn't know what to do, they left me to get on with it.. But I didn't know what to do, my first proper day is tomorrow but the managers not even there on Fridays so I have no idea what to do when I go in, or who to ask or anything.. I hated it today and I don't wana go tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a charity shop over the summer. Did 2 and a half months, but only Thursdays/Fridays.

A lot of the time, it was boring. When the shop was empty there was nothing to do. Once everything is tidied up, there's nothing to do but wait until you get a customer. I really enjoyed talking to the customers that came in though - they made it all worthwhile!
    Ask your manager if there's any re-stocking that needs doing, or see if you can work in the back for a bit (if possible). I'd try to do a few hours on the shop floor and then a few hours in the back, labelling clothes and that.

Volunteering definitely looks good on a CV. I just got a job in my uni town, and the person who was training me was really impressed with how fast I picked up their tills - I would have been a lot slower if I hadn't had the practise in the charity shop!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's why I decided to do the volunteering job haha tbh I'm more confident with talking to people and I know how to restock now it's just damn boring

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.