Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i'm in a hurry to get my ucas finished today, our teachers are sending ours away in the next day or so.

Anyway, I really want to do medicine at Edinburgh but i'm not sure if i realistically have a shot.

I'm applying from Northern Ireland and I have 5A*'s and 5A's at GCSE, 692.5 in the UKCAT and 4A's at A-level.

If extra curricular stuff matters at all then i do loads of things. I run cross country for school, Gaelic football for school and home town, i'm a qualified IFA referee, i have grade 7 violin and grade 8 piano as well as playing ukulele and guitar, i do the duke of edinburgh award and volunteer at St john's ambulance, my local hospital (south west acute hospital) and at a special needs school.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Am not sure what you're asking??

Are you wanting random people on an Internet forum (!!) to 'give an opinion' on something they can't have any real knowledge/control over? Are you basing any decision over what people say here?
    Are you looking for validation?

All that anyone (save an Edinburgh admissions tutor) can genuinely say is: I /my friend were /were not successful with the following background..... How useful would this be to you? So you can take on even more EC?;-) to make yourself more attractive? Work even harder to get even better grades?? Also you wouldn't know which part of the application made them a better candidate....

I assume you know that for vocational 'human service' degrees they will be looking at the whole package as you as a candidate. A pal who interviewed for medical schools said that one of the overall 'gatekeeper' questions for them to score was - based on this interview 'would I want this person as my doctor in x years time?' Anyone who scored a 0 from any interviewer went into the 'no' pile.

So, I really wouldn't pay an attention what people say here- bottom line is that you are in direct competition with your peer group who apply to Edinburgh for 2014. So, as presumably all their applications haven't been received no one can say! You may be applying in a year where no one has as good a profile as you (unlikely) - or several hundred have a similar /better profile!

Contact Edinburgh!! Read their stuff closely/speak to people there!

Sorry to sound harsh - but anything on here is only random guesswork!!

I would find out from Edinburgh direct what their ideal candidate looks like. I think there are different profiles for medicine depending on school.

Good luck! Btw fwiw looks like you have a lot to offer!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    PS also for many human service degrees - medicine, psych, social work-admissions are often looking on how you reflect on your experiences. Eg what have you learnt from working in special school? What has it told you as a person of what your strengths are? etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for someone who has got in to Edinburgh for medicine in previous years, maybe specifically last year as there usually is a trend. Also Edinburgh doesn't have interviews. And any information even if it is my "my friend got in with..", at least then i know that if my grades are close i can stand a chance. Alot of courses aren't specific with what grades you need bar maybe QUB so any information that will help me, even it is just to make a slightly more educated guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahon2)
    I'm looking for someone who has got in to Edinburgh for medicine in previous years, maybe specifically last year as there usually is a trend. Also Edinburgh doesn't have interviews. And any information even if it is my "my friend got in with..", at least then i know that if my grades are close i can stand a chance. Alot of courses aren't specific with what grades you need bar maybe QUB so any information that will help me, even it is just to make a slightly more educated guess
    Well I guess if you want a comparison with "my friend got in last year" the head boy on our school last year had AAAAA at higher, predicted AAA at advanced, volunteered at old folks homes, hospitals and GP practices. I don't know about UKCAT, but he got rejected.
    Any medical school is a risk, and Edinburgh's is no exception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.