Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which one of these Universities is best in terms of reputation/Prestige/Employability??

Sheffield and Birmingham are both Russell Group, however East Anglia is higher in the league tables.
    What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you read the 'sticky thread' at the top of this board about the pointlessness of choosing a University course via something as nebulous and misleading as a University's position on a League Table or misunderstood marketing terms like 'Russell Group'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    I suggest you read the 'sticky thread' at the top of this board about the pointlessness of choosing a University course via something as nebulous and misleading as a University's position on a League Table or misunderstood marketing terms like 'Russell Group'.
    What, so you're telling me it doesn't even make the slightest of differences?
    /:

ReputationRep:
    Most employers arent that fussed about which Uni you went to - they dont read League Tables. Clearly Cambridge/Oxford has leverage and for certain courses a very top Uni will be more impressive than an ex-polytechnic, but the Unis you have mentioned are all 'good' Unis and so frankly it will make absolutely no difference to your future prospects which one you choose.

You need to go to some Open Days, read the different course descriptions carefully (including the details of all the optional units) and work out which one is the right one for you. You cannot rely on a League Table as some sort of magic short-cut for this process.

ReputationRep:
    Most employers arent that fussed about which Uni you went to - they dont read League Tables. Clearly Cambridge/Oxford has leverage and for certain courses a very top Uni will be more impressive than an ex-polytechnic, but the Unis you have mentioned are all 'good' Unis and so frankly it will make absolutely no difference to your future prospects which one you choose.

You need to go to some Open Days, read the different course descriptions carefully (including the details of all the optional units) and work out which one is the right one for you. You cannot rely on a League Table as some sort of magic short-cut for this process.
    Sheffield vs Westminster makes a difference does it not?
    Does the University being a Russell Group make a difference too?

ReputationRep:
    Few main stream employers have a clue what 'Russell Group' even is. The rest of the world isnt as obsessed about this as either school leavers or their teachers are.

And since its based on things like the level of research funding to staff, or how many journal articles a Professor in a totally different subject area wrote last year - neither of which has any impact on an undergraduate course - its not a sensible way to choose a University.

ReputationRep:
    Few main stream employers have a clue what 'Russell Group' even is. The rest of the world isnt as obsessed about this as either school leavers or their teachers are.

And since its based on things like the level of research funding to staff, or how many journal articles a Professor in a totally different subject area wrote last year - neither of which has any impact on an undergraduate course - its not a sensible way to choose a University.
    I'v visited Westminster University and I really liked it, purely because of the location. You're suggesting that me going there rather than Sheffield/Birmingham won't make a difference in terms of my employability?

Thanks for your info by the way

ReputationRep:
    Subject?

ReputationRep:
    Subject?
    Business Economics at Westminster since they don't offer pure Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Westminster has solid, well established Business School.

[Just be aware that it has a high ratio of mature students and part-timers, and that like any Uni in central London can lack a sense of community and 'social life' as students will live all over Greater London and beyond. Many people find a non-London Uni a better 'student experience' for this reason. Also, London is a very expensive place to live as a student when compared to somewhere life Sheffield or Norwich.]

ReputationRep:
    Westminster has solid, well established Business School.

[Just be aware that it has a high ratio of mature students and part-timers, and that like any Uni in central London can lack a sense of community and 'social life' as students will live all over Greater London and beyond. Many people find a non-London Uni a better 'student experience' for this reason. Also, London is a very expensive place to live as a student when compared to somewhere life Sheffield or Norwich.]
    Wow really?
    And I live in London anyway, so I would actually save money if I stay at home.
    So you think it's worth going there for 3 years and paying 9k a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppeter)
    I'v visited Westminster University and I really liked it, purely because of the location. You're suggesting that me going there rather than Sheffield/Birmingham won't make a difference in terms of my employability?

Thanks for your info by the way
    To be honest, I think you're better off going to Sheffield or Birmingham, if you have the grades, assuming that you like the course at Sheffield / Birmingham. Going to a better uni never did anyone's career any harm, and often does it some good.

Now, when it comes to employability, employers don't have which uni you went to at the top of their list of important criteria. They'll be more concerned about experience, degree classification and what subject you did. However, you do see some graduate job adverts that state that they want a degree from a "good uni" or similar, which indicates that some employers do care. On that measure, Sheffield and Birmingham would count, but Westminster wouldn't. This is more common in some industries than others.

Yes, sometimes TSR can get a bit overwrought about prestige, but there is a difference between Sheffield / Birmingham and Westminster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    To be honest, I think you're better off going to Sheffield or Birmingham, if you have the grades, assuming that you like the course at Sheffield / Birmingham. Going to a better uni never did anyone's career any harm, and often does it some good.

Now, when it comes to employability, employers don't have which uni you went to at the top of their list of important criteria. They'll be more concerned about experience, degree classification and what subject you did. However, you do see some graduate job adverts that state that they want a degree from a "good uni" or similar, which indicates that some employers do care. On that measure, Sheffield and Birmingham would count, but Westminster wouldn't. This is more common in some industries than others.

Yes, sometimes TSR can get a bit overwrought about prestige, but there is a difference between Sheffield / Birmingham and Westminster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about a University like Brunel vs Sheffield/Birmingham ?
    What do you think of that?

ReputationRep:
    Still go to Sheffield / Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have the grades for Birmingham, you have the grades for Royal Holloway and City which would both be better choices than Westminster and Brunel for economics

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but is there much difference between somewhere like Brunel and Sheffield in terms of employability?
    One guy says there is, another says there isn't :s

ReputationRep:
    Which one of these Universities is best in terms of reputation/Prestige/Employability??

Sheffield and Birmingham are both Russell Group, however East Anglia is higher in the league tables.
    What do you think?
    Broadly speaking the 3 unis you've mentioned above are in the same ball park even though UEA isn't Russell group.

Think about what your priorities and needs are. If you want or need to stay local then look at the London area unis that have been suggested by others on this thread. If the location is not too much of a consideration then check out the course content of some places and see which appeal to you most. It is probably a good idea to look at courses that are asking for grades that are similar to your predicted as you will then be learning and working with people of similar ability that you will likely be able to relate to.and keep pace with.

Once you've got a bunch on unis where you like the course and the asking grades are close to your predicted then start to think about the environment you'd be living in ie campus/big city/small town and see what else the unis have to offer socially that you may find appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but is there much difference between somewhere like Brunel and Sheffield in terms of employability?
    One guy says there is, another says there isn't :s
    Have you had a look at www.unistats.ac.uk ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you actually stop and think about this, its impossible to identify a Uni that makes you more likely to get a job on graduation.

Your ability to get a job will depend on what degree grade you get and what else you have done during your course apart from study like placements, vacation jobs, internships etc etc, plus the state of the economy/job market in 3 and half years time. And of course, your personal ability to actually apply for a job, get an interview and get a job offer. Just 'going to XYZ Uni' will not in itself make it definitely more likely that you will manage any of this successfully.

Go to some Open Days and stop obsessing about 'future employment' chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folion)
    Broadly speaking the 3 unis you've mentioned above are in the same ball park even though UEA isn't Russell group.

Think about what your priorities and needs are. If you want or need to stay local then look at the London area unis that have been suggested by others on this thread. If the location is not too much of a consideration then check out the course content of some places and see which appeal to you most. It is probably a good idea to look at courses that are asking for grades that are similar to your predicted as you will then be learning and working with people of similar ability that you will likely be able to relate to.and keep pace with.

Once you've got a bunch on unis where you like the course and the asking grades are close to your predicted then start to think about the environment you'd be living in ie campus/big city/small town and see what else the unis have to offer socially that you may find appealing.
    I will do it in that order.
    Thanks for your help

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.