Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else think studying philosophy is depressing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Before I start, I LOVE philosophy and take a deep interest, I'm currently doing it at uni and my carry on in my masters with it. That being said I am quite anti-philosophical in certain respects and see the work of some philosophers (although they're geniuses) really hopeless. I am aware of figures such as Keirkegaard or Wittgenstein who were also quite critical of philosophy (I mean Wittgenstein told some of his to give it up/he did as well a short while). But do feel philosophy does somehow lead to nihilism, and leave people living life suffering. I don't want to think it/ hate myself for sometimes concluding it, but sometimes I really do believe that 'ignorance is bliss' and 'knowledge is misery'. Sad....I know but sometimes I wish I had never touched philosophy, but at the same time if I imagined my self not have done, I would have felt quite blind, controlled and unable to exercise free and critical thought (like the prisoners in Plato's cave) - even though I wouldn't have known.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    i kinda see what ur trying to get

im in a2 phil+ethics, and i can't quite put my finger on it, but i've been semi depressed and i'm fairly sure some of it is to do with the course. or maybe the course has been a catalyst for my depression, which was bound to happen. the course has sped up my questioning in god (which i believe was to be inevitable), and imo once you stop believing in god, it can take away meaning from your life..

but then again, whether you believe in god, or don't believe in god, or believe in meaning etc, you'll always find something to be depressed about.

btw i got an a in philosophy and ethics incase anybody's wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravishingrick69)
    i kinda see what ur trying to get

im in a2 phil+ethics, and i can't quite put my finger on it, but i've been semi depressed and i'm fairly sure some of it is to do with the course. or maybe the course has been a catalyst for my depression, which was bound to happen. the course has sped up my questioning in god (which i believe was to be inevitable), and imo once you stop believing in god, it can take away meaning from your life..

but then again, whether you believe in god, or don't believe in god, or believe in meaning etc, you'll always find something to be depressed about.

btw i got an a in philosophy and ethics incase anybody's wondering
    I completely understand where you're coming from too. I guess there are certain aspects f philosophy which aren't that bad. But as you mentioned the meaning of life is a fundamental part of life, questioning it can leave you lost. But refusing to do so at the same time, leaves you in a happier state of life, but at the same time philosophy is a crucial subject for each and every one of us I believe. But that being said, I don't think it's desirable...as human we want meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazh)
    Before I start, I LOVE philosophy and take a deep interest, I'm currently doing it at uni and my carry on in my masters with it. That being said I am quite anti-philosophical in certain respects and see the work of some philosophers (although they're geniuses) really hopeless. I am aware of figures such as Keirkegaard or Wittgenstein who were also quite critical of philosophy (I mean Wittgenstein told some of his to give it up/he did as well a short while). But do feel philosophy does somehow lead to nihilism, and leave people living life suffering. I don't want to think it/ hate myself for sometimes concluding it, but sometimes I really do believe that 'ignorance is bliss' and 'knowledge is misery'. Sad....I know but sometimes I wish I had never touched philosophy, but at the same time if I imagined my self not have done, I would have felt quite blind, controlled and unable to exercise free and critical thought (like the prisoners in Plato's cave) - even though I wouldn't have known.
    I remember an article in a newspaper a few years ago about a man who said that studying existentialism at university caused him to develop serious depression. Beforehand he'd had completely normal moods.

Certain types of philosophy can be pretty bleak, but I'm sure there are some life-affirming schools of philosophical thinking too. Although I don't know of any...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.