The Student Room Group

A Level English Lit The Great Gatsby

I am in need of help!
my class and I were supposed to read 'The Great Gatsby', this is part of our exam and now my teacher asked us to write an essay based on this question "if we are to think of The Great Gatsby as an autobiographical novel, then we would have to agree that there is more of Fitzgerald in the character of Nick than in the character of Gatsby" now the problem is that I don't know if that's true or not, so please please help!
I'm not really sure. I did this at GSCE. From what I can remember (I may r wrong) but you are looking at this story from his perspective so if it was as you said an autobiography or whatever the writer would be nick. I have no idea if that makes any sense this was awhile ago lol. Well a year but it was boring at the time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ConsiderScience
I'm not really sure. I did this at GSCE. From what I can remember (I may r wrong) but you are looking at this story from his perspective so if it was as you said an autobiography or whatever the writer would be nick. I have no idea if that makes any sense this was awhile ago lol. Well a year but it was boring at the time :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!:smile: i think my teacher wants me to say how is Fitzgerald more like Nick in The Great Gatsby:/ I like the book but when it comes to essay time i suck
Reply 3
Nick is looking back at his time with Gatsby in the story, so for Fitzgerald it would be sorta like he's reflecting on his past and how he used to be, what hes learnt from his past?
Google Fitzgerald, He's very similar to Gatsby and Nick but more I think to Gatsby. I think it is only in his bleak view of his own life that he is like Nick, so I would talk about both sides of the argument but with an emphasis Gatsby.

Quick Reply

Latest