Turn on thread page Beta

Brown/Red to Pastel Pink? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone - I basically have pretty long, thick kind of Auburn hair (dyed), natural colour is mousey brown. I'd not say it was a dark brown but like a mid-brown.

I know it'd be a long, damaging process but what do you suggest the best way would be to get a pastel pink hair colour? I know that you can mix a pink dye in with conditioner but i'm more worried about the bleaching - Would it be worthwhile me doing it at home or would a hairdresser be able to do it for me?

Sorry about the question overload - I wanted to get some more information before I put any colour on my hair as I know how damaging it can be. Half of me was tempted to not dye it because of the damage it could cause, but if I end up with a job which requires a natural hair colour in a few years then i'll be stuffed until i'm retired

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeintheskies)
    Hi Everyone - I basically have pretty long, thick kind of Auburn hair (dyed), natural colour is mousey brown. I'd not say it was a dark brown but like a mid-brown.

I know it'd be a long, damaging process but what do you suggest the best way would be to get a pastel pink hair colour? I know that you can mix a pink dye in with conditioner but i'm more worried about the bleaching - Would it be worthwhile me doing it at home or would a hairdresser be able to do it for me?

Sorry about the question overload - I wanted to get some more information before I put any colour on my hair as I know how damaging it can be. Half of me was tempted to not dye it because of the damage it could cause, but if I end up with a job which requires a natural hair colour in a few years then i'll be stuffed until i'm retired

Thanks!
    I would go to a hairdresser. Tell them what you want to achieve. Perhaps find a slightly younger-yet-experienced hairdresser so she is more excited to make this project work.

They will tell you the best way to do this. However, from my many years of dying and bleaching and turning my own hair pastel pink at one point, I'd say go for a colour strip first because that red pigment needs to come out - it's the hardest to remove. Hair will probably end up in a sort of dark strawberry blonde state. You might have to live with this for a couple weeks - but don't worry - when my friend did this it actually looked nice!

Then, they'll ask you back in to do a full bleach (maybe after a second colour strip - not sure). Hopefully, if done right, this should leave you with very blonde-looking hair. Hopefully it will be light enough to just put the pink dye right over the top.

I would recommend using the Fudge paintboxes. Order "pink moon" and mix with conditioner until it's a pale pastel pink in the pot, then paint onto either damp towel-dried, or completely dry hair, leave for 30-40 mins and rinse. With this kind of dye, no damage is done by leaving it on too long, but obviously don't leave it on too short or it won't work.

It goes without saying, you might need to have a trim with each colour strip and will definitely need a cut with the full head bleach otherwise your ends might just snap right off otherwise, leaving split ends. Also, they will advise you to deep condition your hair after each treatment and between treatments.

It sound like a lot of hassle, that stuff is just common sense to keep your hair healthy during the whole lightening process. It should take a bit of money and about a month, and your hair will be a wicked shade of candy floss pink. After that, you will just need to re-do your roots (can be done from home) and re-apply the pink when it fades.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.