Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its been a month since I started AS Philosophy and Ethics and done two essay question worth 25 marks for Philosophy and only get a C!!! I describe and evaluate it properly and supports idea however it always end up a C!! any advise for this? would gratefully appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do philosophy, but i do the ethics and Christian theology components instead but on the same exam board so i think the essay questions are the same! Our teacher said what a lot of people do wrong with the 25 mark questions is they put evaluation in which actually reduces the mark you can get for it. So with that, you just need to remember no fors, againsts or personal opinions (thats only for 10 mark questions) - you basically just need to regurgitate everything you've been taught but just explaining what it means and giving evidence like quotes and examples. Dunno whether that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katee_08)
    I don't do philosophy, but i do the ethics and Christian theology components instead but on the same exam board so i think the essay questions are the same! Our teacher said what a lot of people do wrong with the 25 mark questions is they put evaluation in which actually reduces the mark you can get for it. So with that, you just need to remember no fors, againsts or personal opinions (thats only for 10 mark questions) - you basically just need to regurgitate everything you've been taught but just explaining what it means and giving evidence like quotes and examples. Dunno whether that helps?
    I did AS OCR Philosophy and Ethics last year (continuing with it to A2 as well).
    I'd just say the same as the person above me! Especially about the quotes and examples!!!

Be as detailed as possible, don't skim over things - it's important to show that you really understand what you're explaining. For example, with Plato's analogy of the cave (are you starting with that?), explain each individual bit of the analogy and discuss what they mean using evidence and examples, talk about how they connect to his beliefs about metaphysics, epistemology and politics, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrandmr.crane)
    I did AS OCR Philosophy and Ethics last year (continuing with it to A2 as well).
    I'd just say the same as the person above me! Especially about the quotes and examples!!!

Be as detailed as possible, don't skim over things - it's important to show that you really understand what you're explaining. For example, with Plato's analogy of the cave (are you starting with that?), explain each individual bit of the analogy and discuss what they mean using evidence and examples, talk about how they connect to his beliefs about metaphysics, epistemology and politics, etc.
    Yes, we started the course with Plato's analogy however we are on Cosmological and Ontological Arguments already. Basically, it concerns me that we are moving to fast with our lectures but haven't explained to us properly, all given hand outs and only ideas coming from peers. Therefore, very limited but yes I kindda get your suggestion with answering the long essay question. Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jromenrqz)
    Yes, we started the course with Plato's analogy however we are on Cosmological and Ontological Arguments already. Basically, it concerns me that we are moving to fast with our lectures but haven't explained to us properly, all given hand outs and only ideas coming from peers. Therefore, very limited but yes I kindda get your suggestion with answering the long essay question. Thank you !
    No problem!

I forgot to mention (you might have already done this, but just in case) it might be a good idea to look at examiner's reports and mark schemes so you can see where you can get the most marks:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ies-h172-h572/

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I also started the course with Plato's analogy of the cave and I found our first 25 mark essay on Plato's theory of forms quite difficult. My teacher told me to improve by adding more detailed knowledge about Plato. For example, you could mention that the analogy of the cave is a dialectic between Socrates and Glaucon and that Plato writes it in his book entitled 'The Republic'. In my latest Aristotle essay, I included a lot more of these facts and got a better mark. Also try and be clear and concise in your writing and like people have said, use examples.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.