The Student Room Group

What's worse, friendzoned or dumped?

Strangely, for me, although being dumped by a loved partner is a very hurtful thing, it is better than the rejection of someone not wanting to start a relationship..

Scroll to see replies

Friendzone because you know she/he will never see you in that way

However a bitter break up can be just as bad.
Being dumped. If you're friendzoned, you'll likely only "like" the person, whereas if you've been dumped, you probably would have been in love with the person. I'd find being friendzoned easier to get over than being dumped, to be honest.
Friendzone... at least you had a chance at the relationship and got to see it wouldn't work, whereas with a friendzone there's always the potential (but not really)
Reply 4
Original post by snailsareslimy
Being dumped. If you're friendzoned, you'll likely only "like" the person, whereas if you've been dumped, you probably would have been in love with the person. I'd find being friendzoned easier to get over than being dumped, to be honest.

Strangely although being dumped was the most hurtful of things, it was better than complete rejection from someone I really fancied. Perhaps it is a man thing..
Friendzoned. It's complete rejection. You never even got the chance, and it would be hugely damaging to your confidence, imo.
Never been friendzoned but I think they could both be as bad as one another depending on the circumstances.
Friendzoned, harder to break away from the person than if you're dumped.
Reply 8
Dumped, at least in the friendzone you get to see them smile at/because of you :/
Shoulda put a poll up
But I say friendzoned
Reply 10
Original post by inspire2aspire
Friendzoned. It's complete rejection. You never even got the chance, and it would be hugely damaging to your confidence, imo.

I agree with this. Being friendzoned makes you feel like you're not good enough.
as far as i'm concerned the friendzone doesn't exist.
Original post by John Stuart Mill

AGREED.
Dumped, and I don't even think it's that close. If you're in a relationship you provided much more of your time to that person, have developed stronger feelings for them, and shared a connection at some point whereas if you've been 'friend-zoned' you can just grow a pair of balls and move on. There was no mutual pleasure that was terminated.
Original post by John Stuart Mill

This. The friendzone is just a lame way of whining from guys/girls who stupidly went in to a friendship expecting more, then victimising the girl/guy for *shock* expecting the love they have been or are showing to be...innocent gestures of friendship. It hurts the person being asked you know, as they feel awful for hurting you, and makes them feel like you're only after one thing...
Original post by joker12345
Friendzoned, harder to break away from the person than if you're dumped.

Not really, I'd say the opposite is true. You can just tell them you need some time away from him or her and just focus on yourself. With being dumped it can split your mutual friends and there's a lot of constant reminders everywhere about the relationship, it's almost impossible to avoid.
Friendzone. At least with being dumped you know the relationship wouldn't of worked out.
I fell in love with my best friend. And what is killing me is I am still in love with him two years later to the point the best thing to do is to break away from him as he has said he doesn't have those feelings for me- but we're such good friends and we trust each other with anything. I don't think I'll ever move on try as I might.
At least with being dumped you could try and be friends afterwards and there's a slight chance you may get back together.
Reply 17
Probably being dumped. Although depends on the circumstances and compatibility with the other person. You just have to get over and move on with your life if the person you want to be in relationship with does not return your feelings.
Being dumped is worse for me!
At least if its friendzoned your feelings havent gotten too strong whereas in relationships you're probably in love or at least starting to. Its much more devastating for me to try and keep a strong bond with someone then have them walk away like you didnt exist and suddenly not talking.
Reply 19
Feelings can easily get too strong even in unrequited love scenarios. Just depends on the people involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending