The Student Room Group

I have Asperger's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
Except, he was diagnosed at 13.

I misread the first post, sorry.
Because no-one believes you. I get the impression that some people only think that men can have Autism. Many females hide it, because we have no choice.
Do more men have autism (any stats?) and why do you think people think men are more likely to have autism?
Original post by Bassetts
Do more men have autism (any stats?) and why do you think people think men are more likely to have autism?

I'm sure I read somewhere they did. I can't remember what the stats are though.

Just found something here
Reply 123
Because no-one believes you. I get the impression that some people only think that men can have Autism. Many females hide it, because we have no choice.

To be honest, I've never met a female with Asperger's yet
I have always hated being around big crowds of people. I get scared and nervous like I detest being there, almost feeling threatened. I become very sensitive and my brain/thinking switches off.

This is a huge problem for me because after every lecture or class I have, there are huge crowds of people leaving/going to their lectures and classes. It's similar when I do something like go to the supermarket. I'm essentially a grown man, I shouldn't have this problem of being scared around people.

Is this a sign of aspergers?
Original post by tomtjl
No. This is a sign that you don't like big crowds.
Yes this reason in isolation means I don't like big crowds, however I have other symptoms of aspergers like some of the ones mentioned earlier in the thread.
Original post by tomtjl
Well then go get tested for Asperger's?
Ok. I was asking as a general point if anyone in this thread that has aspergers suffers from being scared/nervous around crowds of people.
Reply 127
Ok. I was asking as a general point if anyone in this thread that has aspergers suffers from being scared/nervous around crowds of people.

I sort of am, depends if it's outdoors or indoors. If it's in a nightclub then yes, the lack of space and everyone dancing so close terrifies me.

I'm alright if it's outdoors
Original post by tomtjl
Ohh. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything :tongue:.

Personally, I'm not scared of big crowds. I can speak confidently in front of people and have done many times, however when I am in a small crowd (ie I'm with 10-20 friends) I do not know what to say and when it is my turn to speak, etc.
All sizes of crowd scare me even with people I know.
I don't like crowds either. But it's a noise thing.
Reply 130
I don't like crowds either. But it's a noise thing.

The noise for me as well but it may be the lack of space that freaks me out
Original post by Mrx123
The noise for me as well but it may be the lack of space that freaks me out

I think it might be the same for me. If it gets too noisy, I have to go. Can't really do that with crowds. :frown:
Reply 132
I think it might be the same for me. If it gets too noisy, I have to go. Can't really do that with crowds. :frown:

I understand where you're coming from

My first night at University, I was taken to a flat party by my flatmates and it was so packed, I only stayed for 20 minutes before I had to get out of there :frown:
Original post by Mrx123
I understand where you're coming from

My first night at University, I was taken to a flat party by my flatmates and it was so packed, I only stayed for 20 minutes before I had to get out of there :frown:

I've never had that at uni, thankfully.

I was at a local Autism group and there are two groups. My group was just about finished and the other group was coming in. It got really noisy; so I had to put my hands over my ears and a friend had come up to. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk and actually tell her what was wrong.:frown: It was pretty obvious though and I think most of the group were aware that my hearing is too sensitive.

That actually came in useful once - we were doing a quiz and I overheard someone from another team whisper the correct answer. We're now banned from talking for that reason.:tongue:
I'm really sorry that you're finding things hard. If you feel more comfortable telling people, then do. Tell them what you just told us; they're not uncommon symptoms and nobody who's not a douche will hold it against you.

As for people saying 'it doesn't exist' - technically, they're right - Asperger's has recently been declassified as a mental disorder. It's just 'mild autism' now.

Good luck, I have very similar symptoms to yours (I'm borderline for Asperger's) but it does honestly get easier over time :smile:
Reply 135
bewilders me why so many people have a problem accepting Asperger's....
Original post by paradoxicalme

As for people saying 'it doesn't exist' - technically, they're right - Asperger's has recently been declassified as a mental disorder. It's just 'mild autism' now.

It's not "mild Autism". It's just Autism. And I'm sure that's only in America / DSM-V.
It's not "mild Autism". It's just Autism. And I'm sure that's only in America / DSM-V.

Well, autism is on a spectrum. I'd guess most would-be-Asperger's diagnoses would be towards the milder end of that spectrum.
Original post by paradoxicalme
Well, autism is on a spectrum. I'd guess most would-be-Asperger's diagnoses would be towards the milder end of that spectrum.

The only difference between high functioning Autism and Aspergers is the speech delay, which doesn't always mean it's mild. And mild implies you have virtually no problems.

Being scared of big crowds is completely natural, I used to be intimidated and still a little am of big crowds.

Instead of asking silly questions, why don't you go to the GP and tell them your concerns? And bring a list of the traits and say how you match with them. Remember it's a "disability" not a mental disorder, and so you would realistically have physical symptoms as well, such as motor problems. You may have an anxiety disorder or personality disorder but not necessary Asperger's.

I'm sensing a bit of OCD in you, tbh. I got OCD and I was convinced I had narcissistic personality disorder, so I spent ages trying to convince everyone and I obsessed over it and researched symptoms and looking it up. OCD meant I was obsessed with this one thing and I compulsively checked on internet. Have a look at OCD, you may relate to it. (it's not just checking and cleaning, it can be silly things as obsessing over a girl you love).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending