Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to make that a poem...

Hello everyone!

So, I'm from/in the United States, but I'm studying International Relations and the Chinese language (I'm not Chinese, just studying the language and culture). I'm graduating in May and thinking about what to do next. One idea is to study in the UK for graduate school and the other is to teach English in China for a while to improve Mandarin and save for grad school. All my friends have moved off for grad school to different parts of the country--even my man is off in China teaching English already for a year. I'm a little older than the undergrads at my college--will graduate at 23 (a late bloomer, let me tell you)--so I'm not interested in the typical American college "party" lifestyle--when I drink, I usually keep it in laid back settings these days.

However, whether I go to the U.K. or to China, I just love the U.K. and want to learn more about it. My favorite English speaking nation is the U.K. I'm incredibly cynical toward my own country (even if I do like Obama, our politics are really jacked up), which is why I'm desperate to travel away. I studied abroad in China this past summer and met a couple of British people, which was really awesome, but I'm not the typical outgoing, forward American and I felt a bit shy around the British people I met. British culture just seems so... refined and intellectual to me. And I have somewhat of a southern accent, which I'm sure sounds repulsive.

Anyway, hello! I'm going to be posting questions on this forum sometimes, and any time anyone has questions, I can answer, particularly interested in discussing International perspectives (positive or negative) of U.S. policies, or I can be very helpful if anyone ends up in Southern U.S. For movies, I can't be very helpful, unless we're talking about the Hunger Games or Disney, because I truly prefer British and foreign lit/movies. Music, I can help you with, if you like Jam band, folk, Grateful Dead/Phish type music.. (Or the Civil Wars).

Although, I'm sure I'm more curious about U.K. than most of you are about America, so I won't be disappointed at all.

ReputationRep:
    aw, i love southern accents though!
    and i believe it will be an advantage to have a shyer personality americans can come off a little obnoxious at times if they have the typical stereotyped loud american personality.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely come to the UK, China's further away from America for starters. And full of peasants.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you said that. That makes me think I might fit in BETTER in the U.K. than in the U.S. It's good to hear that the accent isn't horrible to everyone . I'll still have to try and tone the accent down to avoid those automatic assumptions that I'm an uneducated racist!

LOL, Captain, I'm sold! But really, I am hoping so--have to figure the finances out first! Though, I'm glad even China is further away from America. I'm trying to get away. However, the flight to the U.K would be sooo much less painful, and perhaps cheaper, than the flight to China is... Over 30 hours of torture from my last trip! A consideration is that rent in China is basically nothing at all, so I can save thousands in a few years.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.