Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm in Year 11 so I need to choose what subjects to study at college. I am predicted very high GCSE grades so I have a wide range of options to choose from.

I was originally thinking of taking 5 AS levels but today, at a college open day, it was suggested to me that this would be too many and that it would be better to just study 4. Could anyone shed some light on which would be better?

I am definitely going to study Express Maths(AS and A2 maths in first year, As and A2 Further maths in second year), Physics and Computing. After college I am not totally sure what I want to do but I think I either want to study an engineering course or a computer science course at a good university, which these subjects are aimed at. However, for my other choice (if I take 5 subjects) I want to study something completely different to keep my future options open. I want this subject to be something that I enjoy.

I was thinking of either French, PE or Geography. I enjoy all of these subjects. Out of the 3 I would say I enjoy French the least(I still enjoy it though, just not as much as the others) but it is probably the one I want to study the most. I think that it would be good to have studied a language and it will give me the opportunity to travel when I am older as I will, be able to understand different languages (I think I may be interested in travelling the world when I am older.

With Geography, I do not really see how it would help me but I really enjoyed studying it at GCSE and I'm interested in how the world works.

I am doing PE at GCSE now and I am enjoying it. Outside of school I compete in athletics and I officiate football matches. However, I'm not too sure if I would enjoy the theoretical side of PE at a higher level, but I would still enjoy it enough to work hard in it. An aspiration of mine is to become a PT(Personal Trainer) when I'm older so this course may help me.

If anyone could give me any help or just share your experiences with me then that would be great. Thanks, Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samjd341)
    Hi Guys,

I'm in Year 11 so I need to choose what subjects to study at college. I am predicted very high GCSE grades so I have a wide range of options to choose from.

I was originally thinking of taking 5 AS levels but today, at a college open day, it was suggested to me that this would be too many and that it would be better to just study 4. Could anyone shed some light on which would be better?

I am definitely going to study Express Maths(AS and A2 maths in first year, As and A2 Further maths in second year), Physics and Computing. After college I am not totally sure what I want to do but I think I either want to study an engineering course or a computer science course at a good university, which these subjects are aimed at. However, for my other choice (if I take 5 subjects) I want to study something completely different to keep my future options open. I want this subject to be something that I enjoy.

I was thinking of either French, PE or Geography. I enjoy all of these subjects. Out of the 3 I would say I enjoy French the least(I still enjoy it though, just not as much as the others) but it is probably the one I want to study the most. I think that it would be good to have studied a language and it will give me the opportunity to travel when I am older as I will, be able to understand different languages (I think I may be interested in travelling the world when I am older.

With Geography, I do not really see how it would help me but I really enjoyed studying it at GCSE and I'm interested in how the world works.

I am doing PE at GCSE now and I am enjoying it. Outside of school I compete in athletics and I officiate football matches. However, I'm not too sure if I would enjoy the theoretical side of PE at a higher level, but I would still enjoy it enough to work hard in it. An aspiration of mine is to become a PT(Personal Trainer) when I'm older so this course may help me.

If anyone could give me any help or just share your experiences with me then that would be great. Thanks, Sam
    If you want to keep all the engineering doors open, it may be worth looking into Chemistry or even Biology (Probably laps with your PT aims)

French is good, but the gap between Gcse and AS is very noticeable (Exams much tougher and nothing in comparison to Gcse). Though its still a very good subject to do!

However as your fast tracking A2 maths in year 1, its still very common for people to do 4 subjects in year 1.

ReputationRep:
    My school only allows you to take a maximum of 4 subjects so I can't properly advise you on the difficulty of 5, but I'm currently finding the workload of 4 manageable so you could probably cope with 5 if you worked really hard. That said, you're fast-tracking maths so you may need to spend more time focusing on it as that's likely to be quite difficult. Taking an extra subject would give you an advantage breadth-wise though - some universisties don't count Maths and Further Maths as separate, so they may not even recognise that you did 4.

Subjectw-se, out of the three you have suggested I would advise against French because even the people I know you aced it and found it easy at GCSE are struggling at A level so it probably isn't a great 5th subject as it would be too much work. Geography is supposed to be easier but still respected, and although it has no relevance whatsoever to your other subjects it would show breadth. I would advise against PE because it's quite theoretical, involves plenty of work and yet isn't that respected. It's true that that doesn't matter much with a 5th subject, but it has a lot of overlap with Biology or Human Biology and those courses are much more liked by universities, so they would be a better bet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samjd341)
    Hi Guys,

It might be worth taking the 5 subjects, like you originally wanted to, and then see how the workload goes. If you get on fine, continue with the 5. If you realise its a bit too much, then you can drop one after the first months or so and continue with the 4. The maths and further maths are only taking up one subjects worth of lessons, so its do able.
    5th subject wise- only you can choose which you prefer/which you would do best in etc.
    I know i did geography at a-level and loved it. I found it very interesting, and it isnt too hard to get a decent grade. It is also a respected subject and you can do quite a few different things with it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    My school only allows you to take a maximum of 4 subjects so I can't properly advise you on the difficulty of 5, but I'm currently finding the workload of 4 manageable so you could probably cope with 5 if you worked really hard. That said, you're fast-tracking maths so you may need to spend more time focusing on it as that's likely to be quite difficult. Taking an extra subject would give you an advantage breadth-wise though - some universisties don't count Maths and Further Maths as separate, so they may not even recognise that you did 4.

Subjectw-se, out of the three you have suggested I would advise against French because even the people I know you aced it and found it easy at GCSE are struggling at A level so it probably isn't a great 5th subject as it would be too much work. Geography is supposed to be easier but still respected, and although it has no relevance whatsoever to your other subjects it would show breadth. I would advise against PE because it's quite theoretical, involves plenty of work and yet isn't that respected. It's true that that doesn't matter much with a 5th subject, but it has a lot of overlap with Biology or Human Biology and those courses are much more liked by universities, so they would be a better bet.
    I agree.
    This is another reason why it might be worth taking 5.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.