Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm new here so apologies if this has been asked/answered before. Basically I have recently applied to several uni's for PhD and masters courses and have just got my first offer. What I now need to know is can I accept courses at different uni's? The reason I ask is I need to have the places to apply for funding and for obvious reasons I want to apply for as much funding as possible in the hopes I at least get it for one course! So, is this possible or can I only accept one place?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by lwmarsden)
    Hi guys, I'm new here so apologies if this has been asked/answered before. Basically I have recently applied to several uni's for PhD and masters courses and have just got my first offer. What I now need to know is can I accept courses at different uni's? The reason I ask is I need to have the places to apply for funding and for obvious reasons I want to apply for as much funding as possible in the hopes I at least get it for one course! So, is this possible or can I only accept one place?
    It's common practice to accept multiple places until you come to a final decision. However, bear in mind that the longer you hold onto offers, the less chance the place might be offered to someone who does want to take it up. If a University wants you to make a firm decision, by and large they ask for a deposit.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply, I only intend to hold the offers until I have applied for funding on any offered courses I may get but I have no idea how long this takes. I feel like its a daft setup really, applying separately for places and funding means you cant do anything but hold places up, you are really backed into a corner! S just to clarify, theres no reason I cannot accept more than one place and apply for funding no? I'm referring to ESRC funding if it makes any difference..

ReputationRep:

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's common practice to accept multiple places until you come to a final decision. However, bear in mind that the longer you hold onto offers, the less chance the place might be offered to someone who does want to take it up. If a University wants you to make a firm decision, by and large they ask for a deposit.
    I have to disagree with threeportdrift, I don't think you should really take up an offer unless you're genuinely intending to go there - just let them know that you're waiting to hear back from your other offers. I wouldn't guess you would have to pay a deposit if your course is funded.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply, I only intend to hold the offers until I have applied for funding on any offered courses I may get but I have no idea how long this takes. I feel like its a daft setup really, applying separately for places and funding means you cant do anything but hold places up, you are really backed into a corner! S just to clarify, theres no reason I cannot accept more than one place and apply for funding no? I'm referring to ESRC funding if it makes any difference..
    Ah right I didn't realise you were applying for funding seperately - I guess you will just have to accept then look for funding. As a courtesy it might be nice to let your supervisor know that you will only be able to take up your place if you get funding.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.