The Student Room Group

M1 statics help

I got a question that says

A particle of weight 40N is attached to the end of a light in extensible string of length 2m. The other end of the string is attached to a vertical wall. The particle is held at a distance of 1.2m from the wall by a horizontal force F. Find the magnitude of F and the tension in the string."

i don't understand how to solve statics equations with a distance, if anyone could help me, it would be appreciated:smile:
Original post by queenfatso
I got a question that says

A particle of weight 40N is attached to the end of a light in extensible string of length 2m. The other end of the string is attached to a vertical wall. The particle is held at a distance of 1.2m from the wall by a horizontal force F. Find the magnitude of F and the tension in the string."

i don't understand how to solve statics equations with a distance, if anyone could help me, it would be appreciated:smile:

You should begin by drawing a diagram. Note that the string is of length 2m and is held at a distance 1.2m from the wall. This immediately implies that it is being held at an angle to the horizontal. The force F is perpendicular to the wall and directed away from the wall. The weight of the particle is directed downwards (parallel to the wall) and the tension is directed along the string to the wall. (It's opposing the weight and force F)

Resolving horizontally and vertically should simplify the problem nicely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest