Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been to Oak Heights or used them?

The normal price to do an A Level science practical (units 3 and 6 in Physics, Biology and Chemistry) is along the lines of £500 per practical/unit. This place has their price as £65 each (though you can do practice sessions, "typically 3 experiments and feedback", at £200 per day per subject).

Surely some kind of catch. Are they really crap?

ReputationRep:
    Worth a bump.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Just wanted to know how did you confirm that its £65 each by the way? I am looking to do practical units 3 and 6 for physics but i doubt its £65. Its normally along the lines of £400 to £500 for each practical unit like you said. I've just emailed them asking how much is the practical fee for units 3 and 6 for physics gce so i'm hoping its still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yacine9519)
    Hi there Just wanted to know how did you confirm that its £65 each by the way? I am looking to do practical units 3 and 6 for physics but i doubt its £65. Its normally along the lines of £400 to £500 for each practical unit like you said. I've just emailed them asking how much is the practical fee for units 3 and 6 for physics gce so i'm hoping its still the same.
    I emailed them and they replied. I don't know when the deadline for the practical exams specifically is, but the deadline for the summer exams (which might include that) is 21st February.

Different schools and colleges have different pricing plans. Some charge one large fee which includes a course to prepare you (£400 - £900), others charge for just the exam (about £60) and give you the chance to do tuition or practice sessions for larger fees.

In Oak Heights' case, I quote:

The price for a GCE (AS and A2) module is £50

The price for GCE (AS and A2) practical exam for Biology, Chemistry and physics is £65 each (AQA Board only)

The price for a practice session for the AS level sciences are £200.00 per day per subject. (Typically 3 experiments with feed back, Excludes the written EMPA paper)

The price for a practice session for the A2 level sciences are £200.00 per day per subject. (Typically 3 experiments with feed back, Excludes the written EMPA paper)

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these. They have sent me an application form. I nearly paid £1260 for practicals at London Brookes College and I would have had to pay over £100 for exams. I then found another place in Bristol which would have taken my toll down to about £600. Then I found Oak Heights. As ozzyoscy, I was sent the same information. It seems legit and I did tell them what courses I am taking.

I will let you all know. If it is legit then I think we have a duty to make sure other students know of this place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grog)
    Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these. They have sent me an application form. I nearly paid £1260 for practicals at London Brookes College and I would have had to pay over £100 for exams. I then found another place in Bristol which would have taken my toll down to about £600. Then I found Oak Heights. As ozzyoscy, I was sent the same information. It seems legit and I did tell them what courses I am taking.

I will let you all know. If it is legit then I think we have a duty to make sure other students know of this place.
    I don't think there's a question that it's legit, the question is about the quality, how well things are organised, how easy/hard they make it to get an A and do well, how it's structured.

One college that was cheap, I looked at their recent ofsted report and it score dthe lowest marks in all but one or two categories, in which it scored the second-lowest and barely missed being put under special measures. When I had emailed them before, the dr. offered me a secret discount, then never replied. Shifty.

ReputationRep:
    I've booked this - i have no idea what to expect... when i'm taking the exams, will they give any support etc????/ Have any of you decided to book!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicso)
    I've booked this - i have no idea what to expect... when i'm taking the exams, will they give any support etc????/ Have any of you decided to book!?
    Have you tried actually asking them?

ReputationRep:
    Any new info?

I've booked this
    (Original post by Grog)
    Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these.

How was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Any new info?

How was it?

It was actually pretty good, the staffs dead friendly, i got a U in both exams though haha (you need to make sure you know what you're doing before you get there)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know when the deadline for the practical exams specifically is, but the deadline for the summer exams (which might include that) is 21st February.
    The deadline for all GCSE and GCE entries is 21 February; it makes no difference whether the units are exam, coursework or practical.

ReputationRep:
    It was actually pretty good, the staffs dead friendly, i got a U in both exams though haha (you need to make sure you know what you're doing before you get there)
    For sure. There are one or two places that are more of a course and teach you how to do it over a number of lessons before you do it, although with the written there isn't much preparation you can do because the questions seem pretty random and cover everything and nothing in particular.

(Original post by Compost)
    The deadline for all GCSE and GCE entries is 21 February; it makes no difference whether the units are exam, coursework or practical.
    That post is from last year btw.

ReputationRep:
    That post is from last year btw.
    Odd, as last year the deadline was 21 March!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Odd, as last year the deadline was 21 March!
    Different schools and colleges have different deadlines of their own.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm the legitness of Oak Heights ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mutilazi123)
    Can anyone confirm the legitness of Oak Heights ??
    Yes:

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.