The Student Room Group

Oak Heights: £65 per practical, what's the catch?

Anyone been to Oak Heights or used them?

The normal price to do an A Level science practical (units 3 and 6 in Physics, Biology and Chemistry) is along the lines of £500 per practical/unit. This place has their price as £65 each (though you can do practice sessions, "typically 3 experiments and feedback", at £200 per day per subject).

Surely some kind of catch. Are they really crap?
Reply 1
Worth a bump.
Reply 2
Hi there :smile: Just wanted to know how did you confirm that its £65 each by the way? I am looking to do practical units 3 and 6 for physics but i doubt its £65. Its normally along the lines of £400 to £500 for each practical unit like you said. I've just emailed them asking how much is the practical fee for units 3 and 6 for physics gce so i'm hoping its still the same.
Reply 3
Original post by yacine9519
Hi there :smile: Just wanted to know how did you confirm that its £65 each by the way? I am looking to do practical units 3 and 6 for physics but i doubt its £65. Its normally along the lines of £400 to £500 for each practical unit like you said. I've just emailed them asking how much is the practical fee for units 3 and 6 for physics gce so i'm hoping its still the same.

I emailed them and they replied. I don't know when the deadline for the practical exams specifically is, but the deadline for the summer exams (which might include that) is 21st February.

Different schools and colleges have different pricing plans. Some charge one large fee which includes a course to prepare you (£400 - £900), others charge for just the exam (about £60) and give you the chance to do tuition or practice sessions for larger fees.

In Oak Heights' case, I quote:

The price for a GCE (AS and A2) module is £50

The price for GCE (AS and A2) practical exam for Biology, Chemistry and physics is £65 each (AQA Board only)

The price for a practice session for the AS level sciences are £200.00 per day per subject. (Typically 3 experiments with feed back, Excludes the written EMPA paper)

The price for a practice session for the A2 level sciences are £200.00 per day per subject. (Typically 3 experiments with feed back, Excludes the written EMPA paper)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these. They have sent me an application form. I nearly paid £1260 for practicals at London Brookes College and I would have had to pay over £100 for exams. I then found another place in Bristol which would have taken my toll down to about £600. Then I found Oak Heights. As ozzyoscy, I was sent the same information. It seems legit and I did tell them what courses I am taking.

I will let you all know. If it is legit then I think we have a duty to make sure other students know of this place.
Reply 5
Original post by Grog
Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these. They have sent me an application form. I nearly paid £1260 for practicals at London Brookes College and I would have had to pay over £100 for exams. I then found another place in Bristol which would have taken my toll down to about £600. Then I found Oak Heights. As ozzyoscy, I was sent the same information. It seems legit and I did tell them what courses I am taking.

I will let you all know. If it is legit then I think we have a duty to make sure other students know of this place.

I don't think there's a question that it's legit, the question is about the quality, how well things are organised, how easy/hard they make it to get an A and do well, how it's structured.

One college that was cheap, I looked at their recent ofsted report and it score dthe lowest marks in all but one or two categories, in which it scored the second-lowest and barely missed being put under special measures. When I had emailed them before, the dr. offered me a secret discount, then never replied. Shifty.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I've booked this - i have no idea what to expect... when i'm taking the exams, will they give any support etc????/ Have any of you decided to book!?
Reply 7
Original post by physicso
I've booked this - i have no idea what to expect... when i'm taking the exams, will they give any support etc????/ Have any of you decided to book!?

Have you tried actually asking them?
Reply 8
Any new info?

I've booked this

Original post by Grog
Hello everyone. I'm just about to book these.

How was it?
Original post by ozzyoscy
Any new info?

How was it?

It was actually pretty good, the staffs dead friendly, i got a U in both exams though haha (you need to make sure you know what you're doing before you get there)
I don't know when the deadline for the practical exams specifically is, but the deadline for the summer exams (which might include that) is 21st February.

The deadline for all GCSE and GCE entries is 21 February; it makes no difference whether the units are exam, coursework or practical.
Reply 11
It was actually pretty good, the staffs dead friendly, i got a U in both exams though haha (you need to make sure you know what you're doing before you get there)

For sure. There are one or two places that are more of a course and teach you how to do it over a number of lessons before you do it, although with the written there isn't much preparation you can do because the questions seem pretty random and cover everything and nothing in particular.

Original post by Compost
The deadline for all GCSE and GCE entries is 21 February; it makes no difference whether the units are exam, coursework or practical.

That post is from last year btw.
That post is from last year btw.

Odd, as last year the deadline was 21 March!
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
Odd, as last year the deadline was 21 March!

Different schools and colleges have different deadlines of their own.
Can anyone confirm the legitness of Oak Heights ??
Reply 15
Original post by mutilazi123
Can anyone confirm the legitness of Oak Heights ??

Yes:

Quick Reply

Latest