Turn on thread page Beta

Should I Quit My Job...I Had A Really Strange Day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry this is really long but im stressed out.

I work for a business were they basically draw up deals on behalf of other companies and get investers to invest in projects and they have a lot of different departments - things that I am not involved with. I work as a part time as sort of a human resources person/PA/slave which fitted around college. There were 3 staff members who do the same job but they have permenant jobs there that involve other responsibilities too.

Anyway about a month ago my former boss/supervisor calls me into his office ,when I get there he asks me to help the new employee settle in. The new employee is his girlfriend.(I know this because I always fit in his sidechicks around her ) I'm going through the motions showing her where she needs to go, showing her all the contacts , the filing system (WHICH I SET UP )

Then my boss calls me into his office again and .asks me to show her how to log people in, insurance, were all the investers details are kept all the things I do which I should get paid more for because half of this stuff was not in my job description and Im always working overtime even though he knows Im in the second year of college.

The next day he asks me to show her how all the phone systems work. In my head im thinking um this is my job? . I think shes just gettind some experience but I know deep down that im about to be replaced which doesnt really bother me because I would have quit to go to uni and at least I can revise more.

My boss/supervisor finally asks me to his office and says "Im sorry but Im going to have to let you go. Its not a personal decision I really like you. Its purely business.I'll write you another reference and you will have another job in a different department". I assume he did this because he was scared I was going to tell his girlfriend about the 6 other girls hes been having 'meetings' with or the fact hes broken various employment laws during my time there.

So I get to my new job today in a different department and its the same job,hours and pay I was doing before but with different people.I get settled in and start working my way around things . Then my new boss calls me into his office. He asks how Im doing and I say im doing fine etc . About 10 minutes later he calls me in again and asks me to go to a funeral with him. Now, Im floored because I wasnt expecting it, he tells me he has nobody to go with I say OK because Im new and I want to stay in this job until I go to uni. Plus,I realize how hard it is to get a job especially one as flexible as mine and I really just want to start the job . And we go to this funeral and he promises me that it wont take long.At the end this fat girl got up and started singing "His Eye is on the Sparrow" and missed every single note. I burst out laughing and he looks like hes angry with me, we leave and he drives me home in silence.

Should I stay or leave because on one hand its really good experience, and I like having the extra money to save for uni and buy nice things (its £10 an hour) but on the other hand I dont think I can cope with these types of people anymore, I really do need more time to revise and my parents can support me.

I feel overworked and I dont know what they want from me. I was kind of upset when my first supervisor had me train my replacement when things have been running a lot smoother since I arrived and organized everything. All of the procedures are ones that I put in place even though Im only paid partime. I know I should be grateful for a job in this economic climate but it's draining.

What should I do? Im just a bit freaked out and overwhelmed at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Hilarious!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Someone you just met wanted to take you to a funeral?

:gasp:

ReputationRep:
    that soubds aweful... why did he make you go to a funeral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Someone you just met wanted to take you to a funeral?

:gasp:
    Yes! It was so awkward and he asked me like it was no big deal. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt_g96)
    that soubds aweful... why did he make you go to a funeral?
    He just told me he had nobody else to go with and that his friend had died... Im concerned about what he's going to ask next.

ReputationRep:
    lol this should be a bad luck brian meme

- gets a job
    - bosses girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    lol this should be a bad luck brian meme

- gets a job
    - bosses girlfriend
    Lol! What makes it worse is that his girlfriend is stupid. I had to show her how to lock the drawers FOUR times, but when I realized she was going to be taking my job I left out important details. They will never survive without me

ReputationRep:
    I agree, ****ing weird. (Btw, just so you know you've posted it twice - more people might read it if you delete one of them).

I can't believe you laughed at the funeral! I can't blame you though - he ought to have known you weren't going to feel much sympathy for a random funeral.

As to whether you quit or not, it depends how much you want the money / experience. Most jobs like that they just treat you like ****, so I wouldn't bother quitting on moral grounds - they'll just replace you. It sucks, but that's life. You could probably sue them somehow, but personally I don't believe in that kind of thing. Just make sure you don't give them more than you want to - put your education first every time. They don't care about you, so don't feel unethical by rejecting overtime.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.