Turn on thread page Beta

Welcome to the Rugby League World Cup Thread

This is the place to discuss all the goings on during the tournament as 14 countries do battle over 28 matches. It all begins with England v Australia and Wales v Italy at Cardiff in two weeks time and concluding with the Final at Old Trafford on November 30th.

New Zealand are the holders, and will be seeking to win their second world crown with Australia keen to take back the title they surrendered after thirty-three years in 2008. The home challenge will be led by England who will be wanting to provide the UK with their first winner since 1972. The United States and Italy will be teams making their first appearances in the tournament.

Group A and Group B have four teams with Group C and D having three teams. Group C and D will play an inter-group match meaning all teams play three matches in the Group stage.

The top three from Groups A and B along with the winners of Groups C and D will qualify for the knock-out stages starting November 15th

So who do you think will win? Who will you be cheering on?

The Fixtures

GROUP A
    • 26th October: ENGLAND 20-28 AUSTRALIA - Cardiff
    • 28th October: FIJI 32-14 IRELAND - Rochdale
    • 2nd November: ENGLAND 42-0 IRELAND - Huddersfield
    • 2nd November: AUSTRALIA 32-14 FIJI - St Helens - Australia secure qualification for quarter-finals as a result
    • 9th November: ENGLAND 34-12 FIJI - Hull KC England secure qualification for quarter-finals as a result
    • 9th November: IRELAND 0-50 AUSTRALIA - Limerick Ireland eliminated from the World Cup as a result Fiji advance to quarter-finals as a result

GROUP B
    • 27 October: PAPUA NEW GUINEA 8-9 FRANCE - Hull Craven Park
    • 27th October: NEW ZEALAND 42-24 SAMOA - Warrington
    • 1st November: FRANCE 0-48 NEW ZEALAND, Avignon - New Zealand secure qualification for quarter-finals as a result
    • 4th November: PAPUA NEW GUINEA 4-38 SAMOA - Hull Craven Park
    • 8th November: NEW ZEALAND 56-10 PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Leeds Papua New Guinea are eliminated from the World Cup as a result. France and Samoa advance to the quarter-finals as a result
    • 11th November: FRANCE 6-22 SAMOA - Perpignan

GROUP C
    • 29th October: TONGA 24-26 SCOTLAND - Workington
    • 3rd November: SCOTLAND 30-30 ITALY - Workington
    • 10th November - TONGA 16-0 ITALY - Halifax Italy eliminated from the World Cup as a result Scotland advance to the quarter-finals as a result.

GROUP D
    • 30th October: USA 32-20 COOK ISLANDS - Bristol
    • 3rd November: WALES 16-24 USA - Wrexham - Wales are eliminated from the World Cup as a result of this match
    • 10th November: WALES 24-28 COOK ISLANDS - Neath

INTER GROUP MATCHES
    • 26th October: WALES 16-32 ITALY - Cardiff
    • 5th November: TONGA 22-16 COOK ISLANDS - Leigh Cook Islands eliminated from the World Cup as a result USA advance to the Quarter-Finals as a result of this match
    • 7th November: SCOTLAND 22-8USA - Salford - Tonga eliminated from the World Cup as a result of this match

QUARTER-FINALS
    • 15th November: NEW ZEALAND 40-4 SCOTLAND - Leeds
    • 16th November: AUSTRALIA 62-0 USA - Wrexham
    • 16th November: ENGLAND 34-6 FRANCE - Wigan
    • 17th November: SAMOA 6-22 FIJI - Warrington

SEMI-FINALS
    • 23rd November: AUSTRALIA 64-0 FIJI - Wembley
    • 23rd November: NEW ZEALAND 20-18 ENGLAND - Wembley

2013 RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP FINAL
    • 30th November: AUSTRALIA v NEW ZEALAND - Old Trafford

ReputationRep:
    Can't see beyond an Australia win, particularly after England's defeat to Italy. That's an enormous shock, the bookies gave England a 50 point start!

Ticket sales are going well, games/highlights on the BBC, hopefully it should be a good tournament. And if you've never watched a match before, the ticket prices are cheap, try and get to one or watch the games on TV!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris22)
    Can't see beyond an Australia win, particularly after England's defeat to Italy. That's an enormous shock, the bookies gave England a 50 point start!

Ticket sales are going well, games/highlights on the BBC, hopefully it should be a good tournament. And if you've never watched a match before, the ticket prices are cheap, try and get to one or watch the games on TV!
    Before I was only vaguly aware that it was actually happening here. Needs more advertisement I feel!

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, fixtures are very concentrated in the North-west!

Got tickets for five matches in total so far including the Semis at Wembley and the Final at Old Trafford. Tickets seem to be really good value. (Was hoping to get England v Ireland at Huddersfield too but they've sold out)

You're right about Australia being warm favourites though - that said everyone made them warm favourites when they hosted it last time round.

Italy beating England was a big upset in terms of no-one giving them any sort of prayer. But its good for the competition. The last World Cup here saw loads of really one sided games (hence why the top teams are in Group A and Group B). The USA beat France 22-18 on Friday night too.

I know its stating the obvious but the Australia game is the crunch match for England. If they can win it (and after yesterday it seems rather unlikely) then its likely that Australia v New Zealand will be one semi

ReputationRep:
    Got tickets to the Ireland vs England match as a birthday present, can't wait!!!! Cheering on Ireland :woo:

(Original post by northernlass)
    Got tickets to the Ireland vs England match as a birthday present, can't wait!!!! Cheering on Ireland :woo:
    Enjoy

What do you reckon Ireland's chances are?

ReputationRep:
    Not much of a league fan but hope the tournament isn't entirely dominated by the Aussies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Enjoy

What do you reckon Ireland's chances are?
    Not sure, I support both England and Ireland throughout but when it comes down to it Ireland all the way! England really disappointed me in that Italy game.. thinking it will be a close match. Could go either way I think

ReputationRep:
    Ireland VS Australia will be a fun game to watch, for sure

ReputationRep:
    I have ticket to Aus v Fiji (as I live literally 2 mins walk away from St Helens' stadium) and the final. Both of which I got for free as my partner is working as a welcoming & wayfinding team leader for the event!

(Original post by northernlass)
    Not sure, I support both England and Ireland throughout but when it comes down to it Ireland all the way! England really disappointed me in that Italy game.. thinking it will be a close match. Could go either way I think
    I think Saturday has opened up a fair few people's eyes to England's prospects. If Italy can beat England, and the USA beat France then a few teams who'd not usually be expected to go too far may just begin to fancy their chances of beating a few of the bigger teams.

It's widely predicted that the top three teams will make up the Semi-Finalists but the other Semi-Finalist could be one of several teams. If England lost to Ireland then it could lead to a must win winner takes all match against Fiji.

Not much sympathy for Hock it would seem. Not that there should be any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Not much sympathy for Hock it would seem. Not that there should be any
    Proper can't stand Hock but think he's been unlucky especially if what he's said is true and there was 6-7 others out boozing too...

(Original post by 90pies an hour)
    Proper can't stand Hock but think he's been unlucky especially if what he's said is true and there was 6-7 others out boozing too...
    I can see why he feels he's been unjustly done to if as is suggested there are a number of others who went out. For McNamara to remove him from the squad suggests that the other players did turn up for the training session.

ReputationRep:
    No Graham, Hardaker or McIlorum in the squad for Saturday either. Pretty much confirms that there has been a discipline breach, particularly with a key player like Graham missing. I didn't think we'd win anyway, but this makes things harder. But I do agree with McNamara's decision, he has to enforce discipline.

No Graham, Hardaker or McIlorum in the squad for Saturday either. Pretty much confirms that there has been a discipline breach, particularly with a key player like Graham missing. I didn't think we'd win anyway, but this makes things harder. But I do agree with McNamara's decision, he has to enforce discipline.
    Absolutely the right decision, He's made it clear that no-one will go unpunished if they do breach the teams discipline. I don't think that today's helped but it could be a great terrible moment, if that makes sense.

Australia will be big favourites tomorrow now, and can't see anything but them winning the match now but it is a shame as an England win would really give them a likely chance of reaching the Final.

Wales v Italy should be a good game too.

ReputationRep:
    Thought England held up pretty well to be honest - it was a loss but a good loss!

(Original post by AKell17)
    Thought England held up pretty well to be honest - it was a loss but a good loss!
    A lot of positives to take from the performance from England today. Just shows you though that slight lack of concentration for 20 minutes from 30-50 is what did for them in the end. With players who have been dropped potentially available you could suggest a fuller strength England side could have beaten

For Wales, defeat was a big disappointment, may sound like the obvious but I think alot more was expected from them. That said, it only does minimal damage because it was a cross Group fixture, but makes the Cook Islands and USA games now must win

ReputationRep:
    England gave it their best, but I got the feeling that the Aussie's weren't at there best and were there for the taking. The Slater try just before half time was a bad one to concede. We now have a tougher route, with a potential semi final against New Zealand, but play like we did today, and we'll go ok.

George Burgess was very impressive, and with Graham and O Loughlin to return, there's plenty to be positive about. A good crowd of 45,000 there too. Italy looked impressive, and they could get to the QF stage on their performances over the last couple of weeks.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.