The Student Room Group

Maths AS problems

Hello. First post. :smile:

I'm a few weeks into Year 12 now, and my subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing. At GCSE I had no problem with learning what was required for the exams, as I'm sure was the case for most planning to do A levels...

The problem I now have is that in my Maths classes, ever since I started AS, I tend to flop answering the most simple of questions; I'm not sure if it's because I apparently over-think a lot, or because there's always that pressure to perform, otherwise I won't stand a chance of getting to university (let alone Year 13). This issue has happened in almost every Maths lesson so far; for example, I'm asked to solve a simple simultaneous equation, and it's like my mind goes completely blank while trying to think of the ever-so-obvious answer, and I end up feeling like an idiot in front of the entire class.

The reason I chose Further Maths because 1) I wanted a fourth subject and none other appealed to me, and 2) I believe that if I perform well in it, I may stand out on the university applications. Looking long term I intend to study Aerospace Engineering at Surrey University, but right now I'm just wondering, if I can barely handle the first few lessons of AS Maths, can I really go all the way to degree level?

I'm not sure if this is just a GCSE-to-A Level jump thing, since most of my friends are handling classes pretty well, and here I am stressing about how far I can go in sixth form before I start getting dropped from subjects...
Practise makes perfect. Just stop worrying; worrying is the worst thing.
Original post by felamaslen
Practise makes perfect. Just stop worrying; worrying is the worst thing.

You've just got to keep at it! Work hard and you'll get there, just don't give up okay?
Reply 3
It'll get much easier as you go along.
Chill bro, this happens at every jump i was feeling the same a week ago about A2, now I'm fine. Just stay on top of your work and don't think about getting things straight away... Its not school anymore.
Reply 5
Everyone fails a-level maths at the start you'll be fine eventually :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This has exactly happened to me, only that I had no idea what -11 - 16 was on the spot. Ask your teacher if they back off picking on you for a while and eventually you'll start getting back into the momentum of things. :smile:
Ironically I do the same :colondollar: all I try to do is revise the easier topics :wink: seeing as the harder ones im fine with :confused:
Hey was just wondering if anyone could help me with this question 2=a(x-1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x-1) this is an as level core1 identity question :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Juliemoore96
Hey was just wondering if anyone could help me with this question 2=a(x-1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x-1) this is an as level core1 identity question :smile:

Woah this is some crazy storm of negs

anyway

so you know 2=a(x1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x1)2=a(x-1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x-1)

Let x=1x=1 and solve for bb

Let x=1x=-1 and solve for cc

Let x=0x=0 and solve for aa
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Robbie242
Woah this is some crazy storm of negs

anyway

so you know 2=a(x1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x1)2=a(x-1)(x+1)+bx(x+1)+cx(x-1)

Let x=1x=1 and solve for bb

Let x=1x=-1 and solve for cc

Let x=0x=0 and solve for aa

Why do you do that?
Reply 12
Original post by Vorsah
Why do you do that?

There are a number of ways of solving this sort of problem.

One way is to expand all the brackets and compare like powers of x.

Another way is just to substitute some values of x to get equations for a, b and c.

The best way (as shown) is to sub in some "useful" values of x i.e. ones that make some of the brackets vanish leaving simple equations for the coefficients.

Quick Reply

Latest