Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can you tell if predicted grades are fair?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say maybe you should be predicted an A* in business, but overall quite fair

ReputationRep:
    You can always have a chat and ask them to maybe give you the benefit of the doubt. Teachers are so different in what they're prepared to predict. Honestly, A*AA is perfectly reasonable. Yes you had 97% in Business but they have to make a conscious decision as to whether you can sustain 90%+ standard in A2's, which are markedly harder.

If you feel this will disadvantage you, it's worth having a chat about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    I'd say maybe you should be predicted an A* in business, but overall quite fair
    I'm really surprised and angry with my business teacher to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ras17)
    You can always have a chat and ask them to maybe give you the benefit of the doubt. Teachers are so different in what they're prepared to predict. Honestly, A*AA is perfectly reasonable. Yes you had 97% in Business but they have to make a conscious decision as to whether you can sustain 90%+ standard in A2's, which are markedly harder.

If you feel this will disadvantage you, it's worth having a chat about it.
    I did have a chat and they don't seem to have a legit reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike437)
    Applying with A*AA is fine anywhere really, with a few high end exceptions. Most students would take these predictions and run.

If it helps, I had an offer from Southampton. Inside the welcome pack there were cards explaining certain processes... and in one part they said that they often look at the students own grades and decide as whether they feel like they can achieve the course requirements as students often have clear variations from their predictions.

You predictions won't be the be all and end all. Admissions staff aren't robots who process every application based on raw numbers. Even if predictions come short, there's always leeway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really shocked at this. Although A2 is a huge step up, 97% at AS should pretty much guarantee an A* prediction.

I was surprised that Physics and Business weren't the other way round - I got 88% too in Geography but I'm only predicted an A, there's a 90% minimum in AS to achieve an A* prediction at my school.

If your Business teachers don't have an answer, is there someone else with authority that you could speak to in the school? Tutor? Head of Sixth Form? If they hear your concerns from fellow members of staff, they'd maybe be prepared to change their minds.

Best of luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    Fair but physics and business should be swapped

ReputationRep:
    My school predicts at least what you got at AS and sometimes one grade above which I feel is fair and similar to your school, however if some school do just predict AS + 1 that is unfair and I have heard that some schools do that but I have not ever met anyone whose school has done that.
    Eg. At my school I got AABB at AS got predicted AAB in maths physics and further maths respectively. I feel I may be able to achieve higher than that but Im not sure and my AS were good but again I think I could have done better. However Im not to bothered as AAB is what my favourite course requires

ReputationRep:
    I'm really surprised and angry with my business teacher to be honest
    Have you spoken to your business teacher ?

I asked my teacher what he was going to predict me for politics and history. He said A's, I asked for A*s and he just asked for my UMS and said yes.

He said he's never predicted an A* before so it didn't cross his mind.

I'm not saying this is what your business teacher has done but its possibile that your teacher didn't consider an A* prediction. If still no luck then just talk to your ucas referee and head of sixth.

97% should justify an A* prediction just about anywhere.

but then again A*AA is pretty much the highest offer you'd get anywhere and you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    A* predictions are a bit different to other predictions. Some schools and colleges don't predict them on principle and most teachers are quite cautious about predicting them. Therefore, universities will look at your AS results and your predictions together to see what level a candidate is at. Don't forget you can add your UMS grades onto your application, and universities will look at these.

To be honest, whilst the A for business is a little harsh, the A* for physics is generous, so this balances out. I would be a little wary of taking this too far, as you might just end up with your business and physics predictions being swapped over.

Applying with AAA at AS and A*AA predicted will put you in a much stronger position than someone who got ABB and is predicted A*AA, even if it feels a bit unfair. If you write a good PS and have a strong reference, you'd have to be very unlucky (or applying to very competitive courses) to not get many offers.

Remember, that while some schools do give very high predictions, this doesn't always give students an advantage. A BBB student predicted A*A*A won't have an advantage over you, as many universities will see this as an unrealistic prediction.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you, it's the same with me in geography

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.