Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I expect to graduate with a first in Biomedical sciences/Neuroscience. I also expect to be the equivalent of a graduate in mathematics.

I want to study an MSc in Mathematics. My only problem is the highest qualification in mathematics I have is a GCSE.

Rather than enrolling on a 1-3 year course for an undergraduate diploma or full degree and waste that time, is there any examinations, courses (or other method) of an absolute maximum of 1 year I can take to show I have an equivalent knowledge as an graduate in maths with hons (or less preferably without hons)?

Thanks for your time,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.julian)
    Hi all,

I expect to graduate with a first in Biomedical sciences/Neuroscience. I also expect to be the equivalent of a graduate in mathematics.
    How does that work?

ReputationRep:
    I've been working hard, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are focussing on a particular topic related to your degree, it won't be possible to get into a Math degree/academic career without any solid foundation. The shortest way to get a BSc in Math would be to get accepted into a senior status math, but I don't know, wether this is possible - I think Cambridge does it, but apart from Law, I haven't heard about it. Maybe they exist Math Master for newbies, but I hardly think so. Furthermore Math at GSCE Level is way to less to get straight into University Math, unless you are pretty clever.

How have you got that idea?

PS.: Open University or other courses may allow you to take multiple examinations at one time and thus to accelerate the degree, in the case you have the level of Math already and just need a diploma.

ReputationRep:
    The Open University is your only hope really...

ReputationRep:
    I would be insanely surprised if you really were at the level of a mathematics graduate, even without formal lectures or tutorials you'd have to work 30-40 hours a week on top of your biomed degree. But assuming that isn't an issue...

Cambridge don't do transfers - Nathanielle might be talking about part iii but in all honesty you wouldn't get in. The best advice would be to do an msc in mathematics at a university where the entry requirements are open to interpretation, e.g. http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/index.php?id=95 if you can convince them your undergrad has a reasonable maths content.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonriseking)
    Cambridge don't do transfers - Nathanielle might be talking about part iii but in all honesty you wouldn't get in.
    Just to clarify: I meant senior status/affiliated students, which allows you to get a second Bachelor degree after only two years of study. You can do it e.g. in Law at several universities, but I guess it will be hard to get that status in the natural sciences/math/engineering. http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ffiliated.html

ReputationRep:
    You could try this http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...es-mathematics - they say it's partly aimed at people wanting to do postgrad maths - but I'd suggest contacting the unis you're interested in to see if they would consider this enough evidence to admit you to an MSc.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to do a MSc in mathematics?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.