Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I expect to graduate with a first in Biomedical sciences/Neuroscience. I also expect to be the equivalent of a graduate in mathematics.

I want to study an MSc in Mathematics. My only problem is the highest qualification in mathematics I have is a GCSE.

Rather than enrolling on a 1-3 year course for an undergraduate diploma or full degree and waste that time, is there any examinations, courses (or other method) of an absolute maximum of 1 year I can take to show I have an equivalent knowledge as an graduate in maths with hons (or less preferably without hons)?

Thanks for your time,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, no. You seriously think you can do a one year course from an irrelevant degree and be at the same level as a BSc/MMath graduate who has spent three/four years studying high-level mathematics? Firstly, maths isn't the kind of subject where you can do this - in order to properly understand even content in second year undergraduate mathematics you need to have a very firm understanding of a significant portion of first year mathematics; it isn't the kind of subject where you can pick up halfway through and expect to understand it properly, because fundamentally undergrad. mathematics teaches a way of thinking much more than theorems and definitions.

ReputationRep:
    The only non maths/statistics subject(s) you could study at university and have an application for a MSc in maths would be physics or an engineering degree (assuming you did enough maths in it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Hahaha, no. You seriously think you can do a one year course from an irrelevant degree and be at the same level as a BSc/MMath graduate who has spent three/four years studying high-level mathematics? Firstly, maths isn't the kind of subject where you can do this - in order to properly understand even content in second year undergraduate mathematics you need to have a very firm understanding of a significant portion of first year mathematics; it isn't the kind of subject where you can pick up halfway through and expect to understand it properly, because fundamentally undergrad. mathematics teaches a way of thinking much more than theorems and definitions.
    But let's say they'd done something something more related like Physics or Stats, would the OP have any options?

ReputationRep:
    Take the GRE subject maths.

If you get a decent score and have good reasons to do this MSc, unis will look at you.

Obviously you have to target low-ranked unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    But let's say they'd done something something more related like Physics or Stats, would the OP have any options?
    Yes of course.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear - and I certainly shouldn't be up at 5am next time!

I've been studying mathematics by myself, at first it was just to gain a better understanding of mathematical biology. I found myself loving the subject as much as Neuroscience.

By study myself I don't mean an hour here or an hour there, I mean about as much effort as I've been putting into my my actual degree.

The GRE looks somewhat promising. Examinations like this would certain be what I'm looking at - although a year course would also be of interest. Some Universities offer 2 year MSc's, I think they may be more likely to consider an application with only a GRE. I'll send off some emails and see if they would consider it.

Thanks guys,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.