The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

My overall score was 418. I personally think anyone above 400 is on the safe side.
Original post by sharangan106
The overall score was out of 520 .... What did you get?

I got 515
How was everyone's interview?
and one person got 535 so it couldn't have been out of 520
Reply 302
When Mr Handscombe came around talking to individuals, a person asked him what the total was and he said the maximum on each paper was 130 (so 130*4 = 520).

Ah my bad, I (stupidly) assumed the scores also included interview scores. Derp.
Original post by Muffyn
Was that directed at me...? In any case, back to my first question, how was everyone's interviews? Also, was anyone in the group between 9:00-10:00? Just curious as I was there.

I was in the 9:00-10:00 group
Original post by Muffyn
Absolutely loved my interviewer. Discussed physics, a wide range of topics, covering nuclear fission, fusion, star's life, energy, charge, and voltage. It was a shame we didn't get to talk about black holes. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to talk about physics with my interviewer (although the electricity part wasn't that thrilling as it may be possibly my least favourite part in physics - but then again, there will always be something in each subject you won't like). That being said, I did ask him a lot of questions along the way (about the stuff we were discussing) and it may have come across as me not being too bright. I did not understand the things he tried to teach me completely, but I felt I did my best. In any case, it was a great 30 minutes (we kind of went over the time-limit) and I'm proud of myself, whether I did well enough to get in or not. :redface:

Sounds like you've aced the interview.
Well done :smile:
Original post by Muffyn
Ah, really? Perhaps, did we talk? I was the chinese girl, long black hair. Smart business-like black jacket and long skirt.

I do not remember someone of that description. where did you sit when we went upstairs? I sat on the left in the second row.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 306
Original post by Muffyn
I don't think the total score was 520. I applied for further maths and therefore I did not do a 4th exam. Unless they just doubled my maths score to make up for my further maths, I doubt 520 is the total. Besides, perhaps different questions on the papers counted for more. Say if someone answered 10 easy questions on a biology paper, and another person did a 6 hard-level questions, there would be a way to decide who got more marks right?

I'd assume they attempted to standardize the difficulty of the exams across the subjects, before giving the exams as doing it afterwards would make the system of allocating marks far more complicated.
Besides, the marks given for each question should be representative of their relative difficulty.
Original post by harmingjuli
I do not remember someone of that description. where did you sit when we went upstairs?

I do. Except the girl I faintly recognise from that description was wearing a short skirt.
Original post by Muffyn
Second row, towards the left, but not at the end, maybe 4 or 5 seats from the end. Who were you?

@Winading001 Thanks. I really hope my interviewer thought so too, because it's going to take everything I got in order to bring the abysmal fail that was my physics exam (yes, even without looking at the score sheet I already know I failed it) to elevate everything right back up. I am sure you did well too.

I think I did. I just did what I do best.. talk about abstract things. Because it was an English Lit interview, I had to apply the same concept to the poem I was given (on London) which was written in the 18th century.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 309
Original post by Muffyn
There were several girls that looked like me. I think I know who you are talking about (I do not know her myself but she was there when I went to the loo)

Yes I know you're right. Was hoping noone spotted that flaw in my argument -_- .

How were both of your interviews, cause it seems like only I am willing to talk about it on here right now. -_-

My interview was 10 days ago, I mentioned how it went on Page 14,
Original post by Mathbomb
My interview was average I'd say - I kept zoning out as I was exhausted from the long trip and hadn't ate yet :frown:. Although he said my exam results, especially Maths were excellent so that's good I suppose.

So here's for hoping to ride through on exam results :tongue:
Original post by Muffyn
They asked you to analyse it?

The first two stanzas on the spot. Luckily, I was prepared. ( I covered "How to analyse an Unseen Poem" this morning)
Reply 311
Original post by Winading001
The first two stanzas on the spot. Luckily, I was prepared. ( I covered "How to analyse an Unseen Poem" this morning)

Did you happen to watch this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMN3EKFdVQ
It was quite useful for my English Lit mock.
Heh :tongue:
Did you happen to watch this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMN3EKFdVQ
It was quite useful for my English Lit mock.
Heh :tongue:

YES!!!!!!! :smile: He's the reason why I got a very high A in GCSE English Literature
Original post by Muffyn
There were several girls that looked like me. I think I know who you are talking about (I do not know her myself but she was there when I went to the loo)

Yes I know you're right. Was hoping noone spotted that flaw in my argument -_- .

How were both of your interviews, cause it seems like only I am willing to talk about it on here right now. -_-

When analysing the poem I noted that "the Palace walls were stained with blood". I then said it was a biblical reference to the Jews painted the head of their doors with blood to stop the angel of Death entering their home. (Book of Exodus). I related tthat to the authority preventing themselves from having the same "mind-forging manacles" as the general population of London.
Original post by Muffyn
Ahaha, lol, for my preparation, I stayed up last night till 1 to try and research everything I could on black holes. Ahh, what a wasted opportunity, should have just started talking about black holes on the spot during my interview. Lucky you, did you think your interviewer was impressed?

I think he was when I told him about the classic literature I read in my spare time and what my thoughts on it were. The literature I'm referencing is Frankenstein by Mary Shelby. I mentioned it's links to Prometheus of Greek mythology through the sub-title being the "Modern Prometheus".
Original post by Muffyn
I don't think the total score was 520. I applied for further maths and therefore I did not do a 4th exam. Unless they just doubled my maths score to make up for my further maths, I doubt 520 is the total. Besides, perhaps different questions on the papers counted for more. Say if someone answered 10 easy questions on a biology paper, and another person did a 6 hard-level questions, there would be a way to decide who got more marks right?

We were told that 130 was the highest but for some exams it was as low as 70 as it wasn't as difficult as other,if I understoof him right.
Beauty about English Lit, is that you have to be a very well read person. (So you can make links to other texts)
Reply 317
When analysing the poem I noted that "the Palace walls were stained with blood". I then said it was a biblical reference to the Jews painted the head of their doors with blood to stop the angel of Death entering their home. (Book of Exodus). I related tthat to the authority preventing themselves from having the same "mind-forging manacles" as the general population of London.

I think he was when I told him about the classic literature I read in my spare time and what my thoughts on it were. The literature I'm referencing is Frankenstein by Mary Shelby. I mentioned it's links to Prometheus of Greek mythology through the sub-title being the "Modern Prometheus".

Ya think? :biggrin:
Your high level perception skills and passion definitely seem impressive to me.
Ya think? :biggrin:
Your high level perception skills and passion definitely seem impressive to me.

Thanks mate. I think for my application, English Lit will probably be my saving grace.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 319
We were told that 130 was the highest but for some exams it was as low as 70 as it wasn't as difficult as other,if I understoof him right.

That doesn't seem fair. Missing out on the opportunity for extra marks, merely on the random chance of having a easier exam, which isn't your fault is certainly cruel :frown:
Especially on such a large scale too.
60 marks difference over a single exam is crazy.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending