Turn on thread page Beta

UCL MA Personal Statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an international applicant, currently preparing my application for an MA in Human Rights at UCL. I am a little bit confused about what to write in my personal statement, especially for postgraduate degree. Most samples out there are for UCAS application. Hence, I need some tips on writing PS for postgraduate degree. Is it similar to UCAS one?

And I would appreciate if anyone of you could provide me tips specifically for UCL.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zulfikars)
    I am an international applicant, currently preparing my application for an MA in Human Rights at UCL. I am a little bit confused about what to write in my personal statement, especially for postgraduate degree. Most samples out there are for UCAS application. Hence, I need some tips on writing PS for postgraduate degree. Is it similar to UCAS one?

And I would appreciate if anyone of you could provide me tips specifically for UCL.

Many thanks.
    International applicant over here too! I looked at the MA in Human Rights as well, but ultimately ended up deciding on another course instead. Struggling a bit with my personal statement as well, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also trying to find some good examples of postgraduate personal statements, I'm applying for the LLM (Masters of Law) but I'm particularly interested in doing a specific LLM in Human Rights Law. My UCAS statement too is vary vague and wouldn't get very far when applying for a postgraduate programme.

ReputationRep:
    Largely, you need to say:
    - Why you would be a good masters candidate - essentially, you're bright and you work hard.
    - Why you would be good on this course - discuss how previous work has led you here, what your existing background knowledge is - do you come from a legal background, politics, or philosophy? Or something else entirely (in which case, what do you know about human rights?)
    - Why you want to study this particular degree - what interests you academically about it, what do you want to do afterwards, what is so great about UCL's course in particular

There are probably other things, but I can't think right now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zulfikars)

Many thanks.
    Have you ever thought about reading UCL's website?

What are we looking for?
    When we assess your application we would like to learn:

why you want to study Human Rights at graduate level
    why you want to study Human Rights at UCL
    what particularly attracts you to this programme
    how your personal, academic and professional background meets the demands of a challenging and truly international academic environment
    where you would like to go professionally with your degree

Together with essential academic requirements, the personal statement is your opportunity to illustrate whether your reasons for applying to this programme match what the programme will deliver.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...s/tmapolshur01

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesisonfire)
    I'm also trying to find some good examples of postgraduate personal statements, I'm applying for the LLM (Masters of Law) but I'm particularly interested in doing a specific LLM in Human Rights Law. My UCAS statement too is vary vague and wouldn't get very far when applying for a postgraduate programme.
    When you register with and commence your online application for UCL there's a section for the PS that has a list of bullet points detailing what they're looking for specifically

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.