Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me through this worksheet please Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1381657368.919355.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  159.9 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1381657385.761373.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  156.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This took me far too long.

Right, so the system is in equilibrium because nothing moving. The forces up equal for the forces down. What this means is the moments in the system are also in equilibrium. We've got a cantilever beam (a beam with one end fixed) and loads across it, that - without a reaction, would cause the beam to swing down. So, there is a reaction momentum at C that counter acts this gravitational moment.

This means there is a reaction force UP at C we'll call it R multiplied by the Length L of the beam to counteract the moments DOWN across the length of the beam. This means we can form the equation...

RL = (10g x 3) + (5g x 1.5). Where g is gravitational acceleration. We're working with moments not forces so we multiply by the distance as taken from point C.
    You may prefer... RL - (10g x 3) - (5g x 1.5) = 0; i.e. net moments equal 0.

So... from that we can calculate the reaction force R = 122.6 N

Then, it's just trigonometric. You have a force up from C of 122.6N and a known angle of 30 degrees. You should be able to calculate from that, that the Tension force along is about 245.2N

If you need more help, no trouble, the rest should be apparent if your maths is up to scratch. Best of luck!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.