360 UCAS Points Query Watch

Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Having looked around it seems that most law firms require applicants for internships and training contracts to have 360 UCAS points. That, for me, is a problem as I got into university via an access course which, as far as I can tell, is pretty worthless on the UCAS scale.

In July I received a very solid 2.i in philosophy and I have applied to accelerated LLBs due to start September '14. However, it is starting to look like I will have to take 4 Highers alongside the LLB to even get through the initial application process.

Does anyone have any experience with this and/or advice to give me?
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Doc.Daneeka)
Having looked around it seems that most law firms require applicants for internships and training contracts to have 360 UCAS points. That, for me, is a problem as I got into university via an access course which, as far as I can tell, is pretty worthless on the UCAS scale.

In July I received a very solid 2.i in philosophy and I have applied to accelerated LLBs due to start September '14. However, it is starting to look like I will have to take 4 Highers alongside the LLB to even get through the initial application process.

Does anyone have any experience with this and/or advice to give me?
Email HR, there's usually a contact email on the FAQs page. Some firms will refuse to budge on their UCAS filters, but I think most will let you apply if you explain the situation.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its like with unis, they mention a-levels as that's what most applicants have and it would be tedious to mention every single possible qualification they accept from all over the world. But if you have equivalent qualifications, then don't give up, ask the law firm if they'll accept yours. 360 points is AAA, so if you got distinctions on your access course, then you stand a chance at least.
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks!

(Original post by nic-nac)
Its like with unis, they mention a-levels as that's what most applicants have and it would be tedious to mention every single possible qualification they accept from all over the world. But if you have equivalent qualifications, then don't give up, ask the law firm if they'll accept yours. 360 points is AAA, so if you got distinctions on your access course, then you stand a chance at least.
I actually looked it up and an access course (as in a Scottish access course) isn't worth very much at all (sub 100) so I'm afraid that in itself it's not enough, but I'll be sure to contact firms and if I get the chance this year I'll goto some law fairs to ask as well.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (115)
41.97%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (85)
31.02%
I don't have an opinion (74)
27.01%

Watched Threads