The Student Room Group

UCAS 2014: Decisions Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by I like school
Almost certainly though I am waiting on Exeter, so if I do get an offer from them then I will have to rethink maybe! What about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to firm york..(that is if i do get an offer..lol). I like the idea of a collegiate system : P
Reply 181
Hey, anyone heard from St. Andrews for Biochemistry? Do you know how much time they take to answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by MiaCheyLuise96
Has anyone got offers for psychology courses yet? If so which uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I have applied for Psychology at

Cardiff (would definitely be my first choice)
Bangor
Swansea
Liverpool
Stirling

So far I have only received an offer from Bangor (Psych. and Neuropsych.) asking for 70% for European baccalaureate :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by Megan>
I've got 4/5 for Psychology so far:p:

Aston University(4 year sandwich course): AAB
University of Birmingham: AAB
University of Leicester: AAB
University of Liverpool: ABB

I'm still waiting to hear from University of Nottingham :smile:

I applied for psychology at Liverpool too. Not heard anything yet, when was your application sent off? :smile:
Original post by smyoung
Hi! I'm a final year student at Edinburgh Napier so can answer any questions you might have about the Uni? What course are you going for? I completely understand what you mean about people 'turning their noses up'. BUT I'd say don't let this guide your decision. Part of the reason for this is because Napier used to be a polytechnic, but the Uni has changed dramatically faster than its reputation! I initially considered other Uni alternatives but eventually chose Napier because the course seemed better than offered elsewhere, and I'm so glad I did. Something that sets the Uni apart from others is its excellent networks with industry professionals (prospective employers!). Plus there are loads of international opportunities for Napier students only, because of the Uni's huge global network (it also runs courses in China, India, Singapore, US). Plus there is option to do an international exchange year - students often go to the US in their 2nd or 3rd year. Also, Edinburgh Napier key selling point is that it has one of the best graduate employment records in the entire country. There are so many reasons for this.

RE your dilemma of going straight into 2nd year, don't worry! As modules change every term, there are always people meeting for the first time at the start of every year, so you won't feel like a newbie. Plus, there's so many freshers events (and re-freshers for 2/3/4th years) throughout the year it's almost hard not to get involved.

Let me know you've any specific questions! I also live in Edin so happy to answer city related Qs
Sara

Hey Sara

thanks for all that info about the uni :biggrin: I'm going to study Computer security and forensics, and I think I am going to put it down at my first choice (napier). I've been to Edinburgh for the Fringe for the past 2 years and completely fell in love with the place.
As for the 2nd year dilemma, I rang the uni and I will be eligible for uni accommodation as it will be my first year of study :biggrin:

I just want these next 10 or so months to fly by so I can move to Edinburgh
Original post by MiaCheyLuise96
Has anyone got offers for psychology courses yet? If so which uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 5/5 offers for Psychology now

Loughborough - ABB
East Anglia - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Portsmouth - BBB
Keele - BBB

My application was received on the 28th of November, It took 15 days for all the uni's to reply. :smile::smile:
Reply 186
0/5 offers for music! grrr
Applied 2 weeks ago…
Original post by Seble
0/5 offers for music! grrr
Applied 2 weeks ago…

Don't worry about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i swear i've smoked more fags in the 13 days since my application went off than in my whole life beforehand.

i'm so stressed out it's ridiculous.

0/5 offers so far. unis are teases.
Reply 189
Original post by martin jol
i swear i've smoked more fags in the 13 days since my application went off than in my whole life beforehand.

i'm so stressed out it's ridiculous.

0/5 offers so far. unis are teases.

Same here, my application also went off 2 weeks ago. Even friends that sent off more recently have already had more offers!
Original post by Seble
Same here, my application also went off 2 weeks ago. Even friends that sent off more recently have already had more offers!

i just want 1. 1 offer to confirm that i'm wanted somewhere :frown:
Reply 191
Original post by martin jol
i just want 1. 1 offer to confirm that i'm wanted somewhere :frown:

Same here :frown: Let's just hope for the best, something good'll happen! :smile:
I receieved 2 offers in mechanical engineering
University of Greenwich VS Southampton Solent University
Original post by thedreamer1996
Application sent: 12th December 2013
Uni: Leicester
Course: Mathematics (G105 MMath)
Decision: Offer
Grades: Unconditional
Date Offer Received: 19th December 2013
Reaction: I'd just come in from a *stressful* rehearsal when I got my offer. I saw the word 'Unconditional' and just started crying. I went bright red *attractive* :colondollar:! Had to check the email again and again to make sure I'd read it right. Then my dad got in a minute later and I ran downstairs screaming at him. First uni offer and it's almost Christmas so I'm taking this as an early present! Best present ever :biggrin:

Did you have to send them proof of your A levels? I got a conditional from York because they want to see my certificates first :s-smilie:
Original post by Mojojojo
Did you have to send them proof of your A levels? I got a conditional from York because they want to see my certificates first :s-smilie:

No - I don't know if that's more because I'm applying through my school though? Unless you are too? Also I haven't actually done any A levels yet, only AS, so it could be that? I honestly don't know - how each uni gives out its offers is a mystery to me! I can only guess :wink:
Original post by thedreamer1996
No - I don't know if that's more because I'm applying through my school though? Unless you are too? Also I haven't actually done any A levels yet, only AS, so it could be that? I honestly don't know - how each uni gives out its offers is a mystery to me! I can only guess :wink:

I'm applying through my college too, but I've done A2 and in a gap year, so was confused when I got that conditional! How did you get an unconditional with only AS? I haven't heard of that before!
Reply 196
Original post by Mojojojo
I'm applying through my college too, but I've done A2 and in a gap year, so was confused when I got that conditional! How did you get an unconditional with only AS? I haven't heard of that before!

I don't think it's the usual thing - it seems to be more common with Leicester though. Someone in my class has an unconditional for maths there as well. I do have good GCSEs in regards to maths and my predicted grades are a little higher than the standard offer, though my AS grades aren't (but I did switch sixth forms between year 12 and year 13). There's also the possibility that I had a better chance of getting one because I fit into a couple of the categories from which the unis have to have a certain percentage enrolled in their courses (parents didn't go to uni, born in a supposedly 'deprived' area etc.).

In the email Leicester do seem to imply that the unconditional is a way of trusting the teachers' knowledge of the student's abilities regardless of how the exams turn out though so I think they're just generally nicer in terms of offers!

York probably just have a much more cautious admissions team: at least you can know that you've got the grades already anyway and not have to worry about that! :smile:
Reply 198
Got my 5 unconditionals, feeling a bit excited :smile:!
Reply 199
I've got 4 psychology offers!! Warwick (AAB) Nottingham (AAB) Bristol (AAA/A*AB) and Durham (AAA) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just waiting to hear from Cambridge now- had my interview a few days ago and the wait is killing me! :lol: Apparently they send decisions first week of January so fingers crossed! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending