Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third/final year student at university, and I'm kind of unhappy with my social life. I have made friends here, but not a lot and not people I have much in common with. I've always struggled with making friends since I got to uni and it makes me wonder if there's something awfully wrong with me - after all, isn't uni meant to be the easiest place to meet people? I'm part of several societies, but it seems like the members just turn up to do x activity, and aren't interested in meeting people. Or maybe it's just that my personality is really boring or something. Help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there is nothing wrong with you!

University can be a really easy place to meet people, but not everyone makes really deep and lasting friendships. As time goes on, and people become more established in their social groups, meeting people can be even harder. This means you have to make the first move- you have to strike up conversations, you have to invite people to things, you have to make an effort. It's not always easy, and people aren't always looking to make new friends, so if they're not keen, you may have to back off.

Maybe you'll meet some people you really click with in third year, but this might not happen. Next year, you're probably going to move away, and have a new job and meet a lot of new people, and hopefully this will give you a chance to make some new friends.

It's a shame you're feeling lonely, but hopefully you'll feel happier soon.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bananabread)
    I'm a third/final year student at university, and I'm kind of unhappy with my social life. I have made friends here, but not a lot and not people I have much in common with. I've always struggled with making friends since I got to uni and it makes me wonder if there's something awfully wrong with me - after all, isn't uni meant to be the easiest place to meet people? I'm part of several societies, but it seems like the members just turn up to do x activity, and aren't interested in meeting people. Or maybe it's just that my personality is really boring or something. Help?
    Well, first off you say you've made some friends, so it seems like your not on your own. It's quite rare for someone to be close with LOTS of people, even if people do hang out in big groups.

I think sometimes it might take a bit of extra effort to maintain friendships - e.g. do you phone some of your acquaintances you know just to ask if they are OK? or ask them to come to yours for a movie etc.? Perhaps try to get more involved if you can and take that extra step to what you are already doing.

I have also found some societies to be more people orientated than activity orientated, if that makes sense. Perhaps you need to join some different societies? Again, if it's an activity you like and you make friends with those people, then that is something you have in common. Again, although it's good to have things in common, it's also pretty normal to share very different opinions too.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.