Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my last year of secondary school and I'm looking at colleges and which A Levels to take.

I want to do psychology at UNI so I'm trying to do the right A Levels to get into a good course.

Originally I was going to take Psychology, Sociology, Maths + Communications and culture, but after speaking to teachers and colleges I think that Communications and culture is pointless if I'm doing psychology and sociology and that I should do biology.

Would Psychology, Sociology, Maths + Biology be better? And should I do Use of maths and Human biology?

ReputationRep:
    Communications and culture isn't well respected, and neither is sociology. You might not care about these things if you don't intend on going to a top uni - it's up to you, really.
    I think something like psychology, bio, maths and an essay based subject (history, english lit or sociology if you want).
    Make sure that they're subjects you enjoy, or at least can learn to enjoy.
    I'm no expert, and I'm not doing psychology, but that's just my advice Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    I would say Biology over Communications and culture and Maths over Use of Maths, definitely. Sociology isn't all that well respected and might be better replaced with another essay writing subject - English lit or History maybe? But if you think you'll find it particularly interesting and helpful then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovePeaceAwesome)
    Communications and culture isn't well respected, and neither is sociology. You might not care about these things if you don't intend on going to a top uni - it's up to you, really.
    I think something like psychology, bio, maths and an essay based subject (history, english lit or sociology if you want).
    Make sure that they're subjects you enjoy, or at least can learn to enjoy.
    I'm no expert, and I'm not doing psychology, but that's just my advice Hope it helps
    (Original post by Cluck)
    I would say Biology over Communications and culture and Maths over Use of Maths, definitely. Sociology isn't all that well respected and might be better replaced with another essay writing subject - English lit or History maybe? But if you think you'll find it particularly interesting and helpful then go for it.
    On the Russel Group 'Informed Choices' booklet (http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf) Under psychology it mentions Sociology but not History or English, that's why i was considering sociology over the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesshall)
    On the Russel Group 'Informed Choices' booklet (http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf) Under psychology it mentions Sociology but not History or English, that's why i was considering sociology over the others
    That's a good point and it is useful, which is why a lot of people take it. It's just a matter of balancing how well respected a subject is with how relevant it is - in this case I'd say it's 50/50 and you wouldn't be very disadvantaged choosing either way. The best thing to do here would probably be to look at or contact the admissions requirements for specific universities you're interested in to see what they prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of Communications do 1 of these:
    History, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, a language

ReputationRep:
    A lot (although by no means all) of universities like you to have taken some sciences at A level and reflect this in their offers e.g.

Newcastle:"AAA-ABB including at least one A level from a subject with a substantial science or mathematics component including Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Psychology, Chemistry, Statistics, or Economics. Offer levels depend on the number of science/mathematics A levels a candidate offers. Minimum offers are usually:

• 1 science/mathematics A level, AAA
    • 2 science/mathematics A levels, AAB
    • 3 or more science/mathematics A levels, ABB

Preference will be given to applicants offering at least two sciences.

Leeds:

Entry Requirements: A-levels: AAB
    Applicants must study one of the following subjects: Psychology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Geography, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Geology, Environmental Science and Computing.

Your choice of Biology, Maths(not so much use of maths) Pyschology and Sociology seem good. As some people have said sociology is not as well regarded as, say History, but for psychology is compliments the social/behavioural aspects as would be fine to take to AS, keeping the others to A2

Good luck with your choices

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the last two posts. Its probably a waste of an a level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.