The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin - Sagae Thessalae

Hello,
We’ve just started learning about 8 mark questions in class and I’m not entirely sure how to go about answering one.
The question I’ve been set for homework is something like ‘from reading Sagae Thessalae, what picture of Thelyphron emerges?’
Does anyone have any ideas on how you would answer this?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I did this at GCSE last year, can't remember all of it but I'll try and be of some help. You basically need to have a really good understanding of the text, so make sure that you have the translation. The question should have some bullet points underneath it saying what you need to include in your answer- these break down the question a little. Try to answer them (the bullet points) in order. So key words that describe Thelyphron are that he's a young man, he's run out of his travelling allowance, and he makes a dig at what the old man in the centre of the forum is saying, which indicate that he's probably a little arrogant and full of himself. However, he does get quite scared (and sings himself to sleep I think?!) when he's guarding the body, hinting that he may just be putting on a façade.
Reply 2
Hey, I've also started learning 'Sagae Thessalae'.

I'm really confused...my question is 'Apart from Thelyphron, there are several minor characters in this story. What purpose do each of these characters serve?'

Has anyone got any tips on how to answer this question?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ChocolateMelody
Hello,
We’ve just started learning about 8 mark questions in class and I’m not entirely sure how to go about answering one.
The question I’ve been set for homework is something like ‘from reading Sagae Thessalae, what picture of Thelyphron emerges?’
Does anyone have any ideas on how you would answer this?
Thank you :smile:

Make 8 fully developed points about how Thelyphron emerges. Quote a few words of Latin, then the english translation, and then talk about how the quote shows a certain characteristic of theylphron. For example, thelyphron can be shown to a desperate man, as he goes to the extent of guarding a dead body from witches, bla bla bla.
Reply 4
Original post by yoshi98
Hey, I've also started learning 'Sagae Thessalae'.

I'm really confused...my question is 'Apart from Thelyphron, there are several minor characters in this story. What purpose do each of these characters serve?'

Has anyone got any tips on how to answer this question?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Once again, using the same technique mentioned above, you could talk about how the minor characters are used to add interest and detail to the story. They also help to provide a story within a story (the bit with the woman cheating on her husband) etc etc. Just make 8 points.

Hopes this helps.
I don't have this to hand and can't quite remember what happens.
But for some reason I can't help remembering it's something to do with noses?
Or am I wrong?
I definitely remember it being quite creepy though! :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending