M1: 72
Economics: B
F581: 80/100
F582: 70/100
Chemistry: B
F321: 72/90
F322: 120/150
F323: 44/60

I want to do Maths at Uni, and I want to have a study abroad or placement year.

I definitely want to apply to Nottingham, Loughborough and Surrey.
Unsure on the other 2.
I'm considering Kent, Leicester, Royal Holloway, Leeds. Any other suggestions?
Where should I apply!!
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ktommo
For AS I got:
Maths: A
Further Maths: A

C1: 85
C2: 92
S1: 89
FP1: 84
D1: 83

Unsure on the other 2.
Where should I apply!!
Thanks

I imagine you'll get 5 offers with those grades they're pretty solid. Why not be more ambitious? If you are confident of getting A*A* maths and further maths and think you'll do well in STEP then Warwick would be a good choice - a very good maths department and they basically give offers to everyone.

If you want a more conservative choice you could consider Bath or Bristol. I believe both are A*AA(?).

As for the placement years, I've never heard of them for maths undergraduate courses. I know Bath have lots of placement years i.e. in Economics, though. Worth having a look at.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lunch_Box
I imagine you'll get 5 offers with those grades they're pretty solid. Why not be more ambitious? If you are confident of getting A*A* maths and further maths and think you'll do well in STEP then Warwick would be a good choice - a very good maths department and they basically give offers to everyone.

If you want a more conservative choice you could consider Bath or Bristol. I believe both are A*AA(?).

As for the placement years, I've never heard of them for maths undergraduate courses. I know Bath have lots of placement years i.e. in Economics, though. Worth having a look at.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the help! I think at a push maybe an A* in Maths, but I think it will take some work. Definitely won't get A*'s in the others. Think I'll check out Bath and Bristol then, thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by ktommo
For AS I got:
Maths: A
Further Maths: A

C1: 85
C2: 92
S1: 89
FP1: 84
D1: 83

Unsure on the other 2.
Where should I apply!!
Thanks

You'll probably get five offers if you applied to those unis. As the other poster said, you could consider applying to one competitive uni as your top choice (A*AA-ish). Bristol might be an option. Their entry requirements are:

A*AA (A* in Maths) OR A*AB + 2 in a STEP paper, or
AAAa (A in Maths, a in Further Maths AS) OR AABa + 2 in a STEP paper, or
AAA (including Maths and Further Maths), or AAB + 2 in a STEP paper.

The last option looks best for you -- your Maths modules are mostly in the A-range, so you'll probably be on your way to at least an AA in Maths. If you are concerned about getting a B in Economics or Chemistry, you may wish to consider sitting STEP I.
Reply 4
Original post by Zhy
You'll probably get five offers if you applied to those unis. As the other poster said, you could consider applying to one competitive uni as your top choice (A*AA-ish). Bristol might be an option. Their entry requirements are:

A*AA (A* in Maths) OR A*AB + 2 in a STEP paper, or
AAAa (A in Maths, a in Further Maths AS) OR AABa + 2 in a STEP paper, or
AAA (including Maths and Further Maths), or AAB + 2 in a STEP paper.

The last option looks best for you -- your Maths modules are mostly in the A-range, so you'll probably be on your way to at least an AA in Maths. If you are concerned about getting a B in Economics or Chemistry, you may wish to consider sitting STEP I.

I think I will apply to Bristol, just so I have something higher to aim for!
Should get B's in Chem and Econ, just a bit worried about getting A's!
Reply 5
If I were you I'd apply to universities wanting:

A*AA
AAA
AAA
AAB
ABB
Reply 6
Original post by ktommo
I think I will apply to Bristol, just so I have something higher to aim for!
Should get B's in Chem and Econ, just a bit worried about getting A's!

Do you feel that with a slight increase in the amount of time you devote to those subjects, you could get As in them (or at least one of them)?

Bear in mind that Bristol isn't the only option available -- there are plenty of good universities that offer great maths courses. You'll have to find one that's right for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Zhy
Do you feel that with a slight increase in the amount of time you devote to those subjects, you could get As in them (or at least one of them)?

Bear in mind that Bristol isn't the only option available -- there are plenty of good universities that offer great maths courses. You'll have to find one that's right for you.

Maybe Chemistry, as I got A's in both the exams, just a B in the coursework which let me down. So I'm planning to retake the coursework. So I hope to get an A in Chemistry. Just perhaps a B is more realistic. But we'll see!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending