The Student Room Group

Can i get into IB?? :S PLEASE HELP!

Hi there :smile: Firstly I am going to apologize as I'm new to forums and have likely put this in the wrong section haha. Also my "enter" button seems to be broken -__- I'm just going to use theses lines to make the wall of text a little more digestible haha
Anyway let's get into it, I have been trying to figure out for a long time what I've wanted to do and finally have decided on IB. Now this is where I need a lot of advice from you guys as I didn't do too well at school not because I'm not intellectually incapable (I hope :biggrin: haha) but for certain reasons. I got 4 GCSE's at grade C not including English again not for lack of ability.
After working for 2 years in level entry jobs I know that I need to get back in education. I have been reading a few IB thread on here and it seems it is important to go to a high ranking university i.e LSE, Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL
So I was wondering what route I could take to get into one of these universities? and what degree is best for IB? I am very determined to achieve my educational goals this time around and all advice/tips/opinions you give are all appreciated :smile: thank you for reading! ALL ADVICE WELCOMED!!
Reply 1
Original post by Stewystew92
Hi there :smile: Firstly I am going to apologize as I'm new to forums and have likely put this in the wrong section haha. Also my "enter" button seems to be broken -__- I'm just going to use theses lines to make the wall of text a little more digestible haha
Anyway let's get into it, I have been trying to figure out for a long time what I've wanted to do and finally have decided on IB. Now this is where I need a lot of advice from you guys as I didn't do too well at school not because I'm not intellectually incapable (I hope :biggrin: haha) but for certain reasons. I got 4 GCSE's at grade C not including English again not for lack of ability.
After working for 2 years in level entry jobs I know that I need to get back in education. I have been reading a few IB thread on here and it seems it is important to go to a high ranking university i.e LSE, Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL
So I was wondering what route I could take to get into one of these universities? and what degree is best for IB? I am very determined to achieve my educational goals this time around and all advice/tips/opinions you give are all appreciated :smile: thank you for reading! ALL ADVICE WELCOMED!!

If it's not because you're not intellectually incapable, doesn't that make you intellectually incapable?
Reply 3
Original post by MrSupernova
If it's not because you're not intellectually incapable, doesn't that make you intellectually incapable?

Bravo. Well spotted :biggrin: *Intellectually capable
Reply 4

Thank you for your attempted troll, unfortunately at this time you suck d*** :biggrin:
You would need to redo your GCSEs buddy and get them up to a high level and then that will allow you to access top A Level programmes, that will allow you to get onto an insight programme and all that will at least provide the foundations for getting into a target university. Just my take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
why do you want to switch to IB?
Geees you have a long way to go.

List your qualifications and what jobs you've been doing.

Rough plan below...

Get an A at GCSE English (lit and lang) and Maths. You need probably 5A's at GCSE to look reasonable. Do physics, chemistry biology, that'll be 6 and an okish start.
Then do A-Levels, if you're going to be capable of being an IBer you need to do this in one year (including the GCSE's)

Preferably take Maths, a science/economics and a real humanity (google cambridge A listed alevels) or a language and a4th AS level. Treat this like a full time job, work 60+hours a week to make sure you get (as many) A*'s (as you can).

Then apply the next year for university. Then try your damned hardest to get a spring week. Then you are on the right trajectory.

Good luck.

CEKTOP is wrong in absolute terms but is very likely to be proven right, I don't think you'll do it either. Prove us wrong.

If it were a million to one odds I'd still not gamble a £1 on this.... not trying to be offensive but you have to realise the enormity of the task in front of you.
Original post by running12345

Rough plan below...

Get an A at GCSE English (lit and lang) and Maths. You need probably 5A's at GCSE to look reasonable. Do physics, chemistry biology, that'll be 6 and an okish start.
Then do A-Levels, if you're going to be capable of being an IBer you need to do this in one year (including the GCSE's)

Preferably take Maths, a science/economics and a real humanity (google cambridge A listed alevels) or a language and a4th AS level. Treat this like a full time job, work 60+hours a week to make sure you get (as many) A*'s (as you can).

Then apply the next year for university. Then try your damned hardest to get a spring week. Then you are on the right trajectory.

Good luck.

CEKTOP is wrong in absolute terms but is very likely to be proven right, I don't think you'll do it either. Prove us wrong.

If it were a million to one odds I'd still not gamble a £1 on this.... not trying to be offensive but you have to realise the enormity of the task in front of you.

I would second this but sometimes the people who do best in this industry are those who really fight for it in the face of adversity. If you're genuine and really want this - I wish you all the best and hope you make it.
Original post by will2348
I would second this but sometimes the people who do best in this industry are those who really fight for it in the face of adversity. If you're genuine and really want this - I wish you all the best and hope you make it.

Thats why they are rare/prized/good.....it's very difficult to do, many try, many fail.

Good luck OP, get a ####### move on and learn stuff, fast and efficiently.

When you fail it will be because you didn't work hard enough, end of discussion.

I would seriously answer the question about why you want to be in IB though.
Reply 10
You would need to redo your GCSEs buddy and get them up to a high level and then that will allow you to access top A Level programmes, that will allow you to get onto an insight programme and all that will at least provide the foundations for getting into a target university. Just my take.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice, I think that's the best option. I was looking at doing an access to higher education course which only takes a year but the target unis don't accept it :/

Original post by miml
why do you want to switch to IB?

Well if anyone says it's not partly for the money they would be lying through their teeth.

So after leaving school I worked in argos and asda for 2 years mainly because I have very strong people skills and the customer service side came really naturally to me. But i've always been ambitious from a young age and I am a very very competitive person. My dad actually does a little forex trading which i've had a go at and find it very interesting.

My main goal is MONEY I would say, I would like to be able to afford most things in life and be very financially independent.
Original post by running12345

Rough plan below...

Good luck.

Big thank you for this reply found it VERY helpful. I would be more than willing to do 6 GCSE's and 3 A levels(1 as) in 1 year but I don't know anywhere that would let me do this :/ Or would my only choice be to pay for these subjects on open university??

I'm not even thinking about applying for oxbridge for obvious reasons and I know that the other listed universities aren't going to be easy to say the least. But after the experiences I've had I understand how important education really is and don't want to waste a second making up for lost time.

Hopefully I will be able to prove you wrong man haha, I do understand the enormity of my task ahead but I believe that with insane work ethic virtually anything can be done. Thanks again for all your help =]

Very well said. Thank you and I wish you all the best man =]
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending