Turn on thread page Beta

Looking for a Tablet. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I've decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately, my Kindle Fire is from the US without 3G and that's - been unpleasant to deal with. Not to mention having to grab a step down transformer and it's been a pain.

As most Android tablets can just use the kindle book app (I'm pretty sure I can use a US account on it...?), I was eyeing a few. I've narrowed it down to about 4, and I'm trying not to spend more than £250. A seven inch tablet is fine, I have tiny hands and mostly want to read PDFs and have a calender app on the go. I keep destroying/losing paper day planners and it's starting to add up. :/ I am open to suggestions, by the by.

But it's pretty much a reading and calender device for me. I have a 3DS for portable gaming and frankly, I'm going to have to meter my gaming habits as I'm a postgrad.

So, here are my picks:
    Asus Google Nexus 7 - 16 or 32GB, whichever I can get my grubby paws on.
    Asus MeMo pad HD 7.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.
    Kindle Fire HD 7 - though I may have to get 3G or uh, sideload/whatever it.

ReputationRep:
    If you just need it for a calendar and reading why not go for a cheaper one such as the Hudl for £119 that Tesco has just released. I had a good half hour session on one and it is a great device for the price. It's HD, 7 inch, 16gb and has 9 hours of battery life. It being Android you can download apps for anything. They only let down is the camera, but overall it's great. If I have any money left from my student grant I'll be picking one up for when I am travelling.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, that might be nice. I'll take a look at it. I'm sort of torn between a couple. I might truck over to PC world or Argos or something and see if I can get a look at them in person.

ReputationRep:
    I just bought this. Not the best, but damn good for the price:

http://tinyurl.com/n6fmp54

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 7 (first gen) user here, I love mine. I find the keyboard rather awkward to use due to the size, but it could also be that I never made an effort to get used to it. I mainly use it for reading pdf's, browsing the web and music/videos/etc, which it works well for.

As a general calender and pdf reader however, you probably would be fine without the extra perks the newer N7 offers. The MemoPad in particular may be a good choice, it's VERY similar to the original N7 with a couple of minor changes despite being quite a bit cheaper - it also includes an SD card slot! Hardwarecanucks did a review on it a month ago, which may be worth watching,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yy-xWsllxE

I believe the Kindle Fire is quite a bit inferior compared to the N7 and Memopad HD7, though I may be looking at older models. Can't really say much about the Galaxy Tab since I haven't looked into it too much, but I don't think it's worth getting if it costs more than the other two.

In regards to the cheaper, more obscure tablets, be wary that they can be a hit or miss. Some of them can be very good without making any compromises to quality, but some can use really low-quality components which leads to poor performance even with basic applications. I'd recommend trying them out in person if you are looking into them, however it's definitely worth considering to save a bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was looking at the 2012 Nexus 7 since it's apparently on sale. The 32GB one is 50 pounds off, so it's about 149 for a 32GB model.

And the new Kindle Fire is nice, but it seems to be sold out. I mostly figured one of these known ones might be better due to support and replaceability. The MemoPad does look nice, and I might see if I can poke at the N7 or Memopad in person somewhere soon. So I think it'll be one of those two. The SD card would be kinda cool. Think I have a spare kicking around.

ReputationRep:
    I am typing this with my nexus 7 32gb do not buy any apple products they're expensive as hell and the nexus does exactly the same thing but much cheaper. Get the nexus 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. The i-stuff is kinda outta my budget. I'll go poke at the nexus and memo pad this week, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I deal with samsung tabs (2 & 3) each day, I must say, for what you're wanting to use it for, a tab 3 will be wasted. You'll be best going for either the Nexus, or a Tab 2 (though they are quite ugly).

ReputationRep:
    I ended up going with the Nexus. Traded my US Kindle Fire off and I quite like this one. Installed some PDF readers, a cute wallpaper and my daily planner app. All is well in the mushroom kingdom.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.