"Hate crime" or real crime Watch

Broken Britain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is "hate crime" little more than name calling? Should police time be wasted on this politically correct nonesense leaving victims of real crime to suffer in silence.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
op is an idiot
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Broken Britain)
Is "hate crime" little more than name calling? Should police time be wasted on this politically correct nonesense leaving victims of real crime to suffer in silence.
No. I'm no law expert but from what I understand 'hate crime' is an aggravation of a specific crime, and not a crime in itself, and is applicable to a lot more than mere 'name calling'.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does hate crime carry a larger sentence nowadays?
Still south park makes the best point on hate crime.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hate crime does seen to be getting banded around a little too much these days. Just like the words racist and fascist, the over use of it demand and cheapens its meaning.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Hate crime" is code for thoughtcrime
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
No. I'm no law expert but from what I understand 'hate crime' is an aggravation of a specific crime, and not a crime in itself, and is applicable to a lot more than mere 'name calling'.
You're right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime#United_Kingdom

In think some people in this thread are confusing hate crime with hate speech.
tc92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As said, hate crimes are aggravations of normal crimes. Though there is a public perception, rightly or wrongly, that it applies almost exclusively to majority-on-minority crime, whether that be race/religion/sexuality etc. Hence the attitude behind OP's point
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed