Turn on thread page Beta

50% HIV is from gay, 50% from Straights .. read on watch

ReputationRep:
    There is a lack of critical mathematical thinking in this country.
    Time and time again, I hear people saying "well, not all gay people have HIV, straights are just as likely". No, straights they are not just as likely to have HIV, not unless they have slept with prostitutes or sluts.

They misread the statistics like retards.

If there are 1 in 10 gay men say as a nominal number.

There are 9 in 10 heterosexual men. That means you are not "just as likely" to encounter a heterosexual man with HIV as a gay man. Because there are less gay men. The fact that gay men represent 50% of the total, means that they are way more likely to have HIV than a straight man.

Also, take into account that the majority are african heterosexuals in the UK, a small minority are natives. Unless they have slept with bisexual men, prostitutes, sluts etc.

Why can't people think critically, instead of taking facts out of context. Is it a reflection of our dumbed down culture.

This country are in a state of denial about the HIV crisis. The NHS is cutting back, there's going to be more untreated HIV. The media are under-reporting it for fear of seeming LGBT phobic. It's a dangerous health and safety situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but it puts homosexuality in a bad light so why are you complaining?

ReputationRep:
    ok, so gay people are more likely to contract HIV? I don't see your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam198)
    Time and time again, I hear people saying "well, not all gay people have HIV, straights are just as likely". No, straights they are not just as likely to have HIV, not unless they have slept with prostitutes or sluts.

There are 9 in 10 heterosexual men. That means you are not "just as likely" to encounter a heterosexual man with HIV as a gay man. Because there are less gay men. The fact that gay men represent 50% of the total, means that they are way more likely to have HIV than a straight man.

Also, take into account that the majority are african heterosexuals in the UK, a small minority are natives. Unless they have slept with bisexual men, prostitutes, sluts etc.

Why can't people think critically, instead of taking facts out of context. Is it a reflection of our dumbed down culture.

This country are in a state of denial about the HIV crisis. The NHS is cutting back, there's going to be more untreated HIV. The media are under-reporting it for fear of seeming LGBT phobic. It's a dangerous health and safety situation.
    No one has misread the statistics.

People already know that there is a greater rate of HIV in the Gay community.

The majority are not "African hetrosexuals". About a 1/3 are.

I suggest that you shouldn't call other people "retards" when you cannot read statistics or use punctuation.

ReputationRep:
    You are more likely to contract HIV through anal sex than vaginal/oral sex.

As anal sex is something that is mainly practiced in the homosexual community, then yes, there is a greater percentage of transfer rate. I should also note here that transmission is an exponential function, not linear, and as homosexuals on average have a larger number of sexual partners per year, this cooks a perfect situation for HIV and other STDs.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, we've known this for years. It's not an argument against homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endangered)
    Dude, we've known this for years. It's not an argument against homosexuality.
    I have never quite got that argument. if gays being more likely to get HIV makes homosexuality is wrong... does that mean being african is wrong? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam198)

I'm sure you have a point, I'm just at a loss as to what it is!

HIV is a well known problem, as are the most likely affected groups and methods of transmission - incidentally, you missed addicts who share needles, victims of malicious infection, infected blood transfer (I'm not just talking about transfusions etc, but also first aid - treating an open wound on a victim who is HIV+ carries a risk, hence why you are taught "no glove, no love" when you do 1st aid courses) and children of HIV sufferers from your high risk heterosexual groups. That's without getting started on the derogatory "unless they have slept with prostitutes or sluts" comment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    I have never quite got that argument. if gays being more likely to get HIV makes homosexuality is wrong... does that mean being african is wrong? :confused:
    Better yet, is being alive wrong? No one alive can avoid chronic illnesses unless they kill themselves or die of an accident beforehand.

... is driving a car wrong? People who drive cars are far more likely to be in an accident than people who walk everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    and lol @ "you can't get AIDS unless you sleep with prostitutes or sluts".

You're talking as if only men exist in the world and only men can get HIV from women. Where do you think women get AIDS from? Get your head out of your ass.

ReputationRep:
    errrm. as far as i'm concerned the majority of people DON'T go around saying that HIV is just as likely in straight couples in a genuine debate? i mean i suppose some still people go around saying the earth still flat, but to paint them as representative of all religious people in a religious debate, as an argument against religion would be a big of a strawman. i do think the issue of HIV in the lgbt is something which needs to be addressed without fear of appearing homophobic. but I can't help but think this isn't the reason you brought this up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    errrm. as far as i'm concerned the majority of people DON'T go around saying that HIV is just as likely in straight couples in a genuine debate? i mean i suppose some still people go around saying the earth still flat, but to paint them as representative of all religious people in a religious debate, would be a little bit of a strawman. i do think the issue of HIV in the lgbt is something which needs to be addressed without fear of appearing homophobic. but I can't help but think this isn't the reason you brought this up....
    I believe the most common argument is that HIV is not caused by gay sex, but rather by risky activities - including unprotected sex (particularly anal) and other things like sharing needles. But the OP never listens when those arguments are presented.
    There's also the case that it doesn't really matter. Like someone else just said above, does that mean it's also wrong to be African because they have higher levels of HIV. And also lesbians have the lowest levels, but they're gay too. It's a bad argument all round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I believe the most common argument is that HIV is not caused by gay sex, but rather by risky activities - including unprotected sex (particularly anal) and other things like sharing needles. But the OP never listens when those arguments are presented.
    There's also the case that it doesn't really matter. Like someone else just said above, does that mean it's also wrong to be African because they have higher levels of HIV. And also lesbians have the lowest levels, but they're gay too. It's a bad argument all round.
    i agree completely

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.