Letting go of a best friend. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I don't really know what I'm asking here but.. essentially i've lost my best friend.
I've known her since we were 14, we were really close, the kind of best friend that you have all the goofy private jokes with, tons of memories, went on holidays together.. I'm 19 now, and for the past year we've drifted further and further apart.. to the point where I see no point trying to drag this friendship on anymore. She just doesn't really seem to want to know anymore. It's always me who texts her first, it's always her that takes an age to reply, it's always me who makes the plans to go places, it's her that makes no effort what-so-ever. Sure she'll reply and go yeah i'm up for that, but then either bails on me or when we do go out it's just not the same. She's almost passive-aggressive towards me. She's left me for her boyf/boys on nights out etc. I've been so unwilling to let this friendship go because I've felt like she's the only friend who really knows me? I have other friends but they're all either boys or new girl mates. And the kind of friendship I used to have with her meant the world to me, I always felt like I had the best friend ever. And now I don't. I don't have a best friend anymore. Not because she died, not because we had a massive argument, not because of something terrible, .. she just stopped caring, stopped wanting to be my closest friend, stopped wanting to be a real friend at all.
Just kinda end up wondering, what the point of it all was? All the sleepovers, all the advice, all the shared jokes and laughs and tears, all the cinema trips and nights out, all the shared broken hearts and pain. All of it. What was the point in any of it?

Sigh. How do I move on from this broken friendship and just, forget about her? How do I stop trying to keep a friendship alive that's well and truly dead?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
My sister is in the same positive as you, her best friend is going off with someone else and just drifting away from my sister. It's really hard to watch because their friendship was like yours and your best friend. I don't really know any advice to give you because I'm sure like my sister, you don't want to give up and will carry on trying to push the friendship. I can only really think of maybe talking to her? Just explain maybe how you've felt and how you feel like you two aren't as close anymore, or hint at it. (for example you could look at past photographs of you both and kind of hint how things used to be.)

I just thought I'd say you're not alone on this, as sometimes it helps I think over time the pain you feel will heal, and hopefully she will ever realise what she is doing or you'll find some other friends
Usar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel like the same thing is gonna happen to me. It's really horrible so you have my full sympathy. Hang in there, the world needs more sensitive people like you :hugs:
GekoFan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Happened to me. Was best friends, basically sisters, with a girl since we were 3 and 13 years on she's suddenly decided she doesn't want to know me. It sucks but you just gotta move on.
Spongebob'sPants
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Honestly, i'd say have a heart to heart with her.

If you genuinely care about her and her friendship as much as you claim, have the heart to heart with her. What do you have left to lose?

If it doesnt work out after that, then just leave it, and let her be. Maybe she'll come round in the end.

Unfortunately, people do change, and go in different directions. You can't do much if thats the case.

I think you ought to be honest with her, and let her know how you feel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (55)
98.21%
No (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads