Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its an image enabled and obsessed world. How cautious are you about letting partners take intimate photos/videos? Thankfully I am in a stable relationship and this is not a big issue. But I think it must be a bit of a minefield. I wonder if a woman would ever use such things in a spiteful way post break up, or is this largely the preserve of the scoundrel male? Or maybe nowadays nothing is embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Thankfully I am in a stable relationship and this is not a big issue.
    Please be careful. It's surprising how fast relationships go from stable to toxic. And when they do people don't always worry about who has possession of the incriminating hard-drive until it's too late.

If intimate film/images get into the public domain it's probably not the reputation-shredding disaster it might once have been, but it's probably horrendous and easy to avoid.

People can't have a meal without photographing the plate from a dozen angles. My advice is to keep sex as one of those areas it's better to reminisce from memory rather than documentary evidence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lotus_Eater)

People can't have a meal without photographing the plate from a dozen angles. My advice is to keep sex as one of those areas it's better to reminisce from memory rather than documentary evidence!
    Yes, crazy world, I tend to be of your opinion..

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly something you should be careful about. If your partner is pressuring you and you feel at all uncomfortable with it, it's just not advisable. Relationships are taken too lightly nowadays and even if the break up was amicable, how would you feel knowing that your ex had hold of pictures of you like that?

I'm in a stable relationship with my partner and feel completely at ease with sending photos, and I think that's a good thing - the only risk I'd feel in this would be others reading his/my messages.

ReputationRep:
    I send my husband a couple of pictures sometimes when we can't be together or while he is at work. I trust him completely, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    If they are taking photos/videos of you, then you should also take photos/videos of them. That way, if you both go your separate ways, it's less likely they'll threaten you with these, as you also own something that you can use against them.

But me, personally? I don't see why people feel the need to film these things. It's something I would avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly advise caution, and not to go ahead with it until you're some way into your relationship and really feel you can trust the other person. If you feel that you really ought to do so, it might be worth using an app like Snapchat - now that they've added a notification if the other person screenshots your photo it's easier to clear up the nonsense straight away rather than leaving the relationship and only then finding out they still have incriminating/embarrassing photos stored somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekChicc)
    If they are taking photos/videos of you, then you should also take photos/videos of them. That way, if you both go your separate ways, it's less likely they'll threaten you with these, as you also own something that you can use against them.
    Sort of like a nuclear deterrent really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I send my husband a couple of pictures sometimes when we can't be together or while he is at work. I trust him completely, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.
    Yes, hopefully by the time you get to marriage this can be done with a degree of trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Yes, hopefully by the time you get to marriage this can be done with a degree of trust.
    That degree would be 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Sort of like a nuclear deterrent really..
    Yeah, you're right. That's why I don't think it's wise to do it in the first place. I'd be in a constant state of anxiety about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally fine with it. Not that my husband would want intimate photos of me, but if he did...

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely fine with it once there is a fair bit of trust

ReputationRep:
    It's practically a requirement for LDRs. It doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    It's no big deal. You'd have to be a real prick to go ahead and show other people. As above poster said, if both people send photos to each other, then there's less of a control element.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot is exposed by phone hacking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And thesedays u can hack someone elses phone and see them through phone cameras and web cams on laptops.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My ex actually got in an argument with me because I refused to photograph her nude.
    I thought I was being noble and self-sacrificing and putting her safety first and somehow she thought that it made me a creep (bizarre logic) and told me that she now regretted telling me that she loved me.

Long story short; if you are a bloke avoid photos unless they come up.
    If they do come up then maybe take it and sneakily delete it before they notice.

If you are a girl you have all the power anyway. If the bloke asks for a photo say "never ask me that again or I won't sleep with you for two months" and they'll soon stop asking.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.