Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to know how important predicted grades are compared to AS'. Because at my school people literally ask the teacher to up their predicted grade if they're not happy with it and they do...which I think is a bit unfair.

I got AAAAA and have been predicted 3A*A and all my UMS were way above 90...but one of my friends for example got AABB and has been predicted 3A*A, and only one of the A's was 90+. He had predicted grades of A*AAB but asked his teachers to up them because he was applying to oxbridge and needed better predicted grades.

So my question is for unis like oxbridge, ruseel group etc...are we viewed as the same ability (assuming reference and personal statement are about the same)

ReputationRep:
    Universities can (or at least claim to be able to) tell whether a predicted grade has been 'artificially inflated'. In other words, they make their own prediction of your grades based on your AS grades, compare it to the college's prediction, and if there is a large difference between the two sets, they will assume that the college's high predictions are inaccurate. The exception to this rule is if there were extenuating circumstances affecting the AS results, in which case the university might recognise that the predicted grades are a fair prediction despite worse AS results.

In short, the universities will probably be able to tell that your friend is less likely than you to achieve those predicted grades. Congratulations on your results by the way, and good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Universities can (or at least claim to be able to) tell whether a predicted grade has been 'artificially inflated'. In other words, they make their own prediction of your grades based on your AS grades, compare it to the college's prediction, and if there is a large difference between the two sets, they will assume that the college's high predictions are inaccurate. The exception to this rule is if there were extenuating circumstances affecting the AS results, in which case the university might recognise that the predicted grades are a fair prediction despite worse AS results.

In short, the universities will probably be able to tell that your friend is less likely than you to achieve those predicted grades. Congratulations on your results by the way, and good luck with your application.
    Thanks for the info and cheers!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.