Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I'm kind of lazy with my appearance and as I'm 16 soon, I want this to change. One time, a girl said this behind my back: "She could be pretty, but she doesn't really make an effort."

My hygiene's OK, but it could be better. I have a lot of spots on my face and also, my hair is usually messy as I'm not good with hairstyles. Most days I just throw on an old jumper and jeans, as the clothes I own are a bit mismatched.

I really want to make more of an effort with my appearance and dress well; do you have any advice/tips? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you look like, but from what you'd said maybe brush your hair more, sort out your spots (either better diet/sleep or get medication for it if it's serious) and try wearing clothes that match more or fit better, maybe the occasional dress? You could also wear a little concealer to cover up old spot marks, but don't put it on spots, it'll make them stay longer.

You don't need to slap a load of make up on your face to be pretty, I'm sure you already are

Spoiler:
    Show
    you actually sound just like me from a few years ago haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHolubowskyj)
    Not sure what you look like, but from what you'd said maybe brush your hair more, sort out your spots (either better diet/sleep or get medication for it if it's serious) and try wearing clothes that match more or fit better, maybe the occasional dress? You could also wear a little concealer to cover up old spot marks, but don't put it on spots, it'll make them stay longer.

You don't need to slap a load of make up on your face to be pretty, I'm sure you already are

Spoiler:
    Show
    you actually sound just like me from a few years ago haha
    Thanks for the tips Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekChicc)
    Thanks for the tips Anyone else?
    Is your avatar of you? If not, then you don't really have anything to worry about as a guy, I'm not particularly attracted to girls who try really hard and wear tonnes of make up and skimpy clothes, it kinda puts me off. Just maybe wear a nice shirt and smile, I think the main thing is to smile more and people tend to find that pretty attractive

ReputationRep:
    You could straighten your hair wear some mascara or gloss if you're happy with how you look don't let silly things girls say try and change that if you want to look more pretty do it for yourself not for anybody else

If you want to change your style go shopping with a friend and see what clothes you would like or get some style ideas off people here or instagram

Posted from TSR Mobile

A sponge and fairy liquid should do the trick :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)
    Is your avatar of you? If not, then you don't really have anything to worry about as a guy, I'm not particularly attracted to girls who try really hard and wear tonnes of make up and skimpy clothes, it kinda puts me off. Just maybe wear a nice shirt and smile, I think the main thing is to smile more and people tend to find that pretty attractive
    I don't like being high maintenance myself, but at the moment I look like a tramp, haha Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like being high maintenance myself, but at the moment I look like a tramp, haha Thanks for the advice.
    Again, is your picture of you?? but fair enough, new clothes, brush your hair and you should be already, everyone gets spots and I personally don't mind if a girl doesn't cover them with make up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)
    Again, is your picture of you?? but fair enough, new clothes, brush your hair and you should be already, everyone gets spots and I personally don't mind if a girl doesn't cover them with make up
    No, the picture isn't of me. It's of Lana Del Rey

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, I'm kind of lazy with my appearance and as I'm 16 soon, I want this to change. One time, a girl said this behind my back: "She could be pretty, but she doesn't really make an effort."

My hygiene's OK, but it could be better. I have a lot of spots on my face and also, my hair is usually messy as I'm not good with hairstyles. Most days I just throw on an old jumper and jeans, as the clothes I own are a bit mismatched.

I really want to make more of an effort with my appearance and dress well; do you have any advice/tips? Thanks in advance
    tbh as long as girl isn't fat, she doesn't really need to make an effort to scrub up well. She justs needs to take her clothes off, and then all the boys will come to her yard for milkshake regardless

ReputationRep:
    Wear skirts and dresses instead of trousers. Please.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like you right now! Haha. I don't make much of an effort, at the most I wear foundation and a little mascara because that's what I'm comfortable with. That's the most important thing, don't feel like you have to change because other people think you should. If you really want to change for yourself, perhaps go on a little shopping spree to find some clothes that aren't so mismatched and fit you well. Perhaps utilise a pair of straighteners more, or try a little makeup. Just make sure you make those changes because that is actually what you want to do, not because you feel the need to compete with other girls who make a little bit more of an 'effort'!

ReputationRep:
    No, the picture isn't of me. It's of Lana Del Rey
    Aha oh yeah! :facepalm:
    You might get better advice if you put up a picture

ReputationRep:
    I would have posted a picture, but I don't feel comfortable posting pictures online, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Get a flattering haircut, it makes such a difference and it should still look nice even if you don't style it. Try to clear up your skin by either changing your diet, or being more hygienic with your skin, but for now I guess you could conceal the spots (as long as you wash it all off at the end of the day!) You don't need to wear loads of makeup, but you could just dress up your best feature a bit...so if you like your eyes, wear a bit of mascara and eyeliner, it makes all the difference! As for the clothes, I'd invest in a few items that can be worn with almost anything, like denim jeans or just simple t-shirts. Stick to neutral colours (black, white, cream etc) if you're not up to colour-coordinating your clothes all the time. Dresses are the simplest outfits (in my opinion), so if you're comfortable wearing them, wear them! That's all I can think of for now...hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasagneee)
    Get a flattering haircut, it makes such a difference and it should still look nice even if you don't style it. Try to clear up your skin by either changing your diet, or being more hygienic with your skin, but for now I guess you could conceal the spots (as long as you wash it all off at the end of the day!) You don't need to wear loads of makeup, but you could just dress up your best feature a bit...so if you like your eyes, wear a bit of mascara and eyeliner, it makes all the difference! As for the clothes, I'd invest in a few items that can be worn with almost anything, like denim jeans or just simple t-shirts. Stick to neutral colours (black, white, cream etc) if you're not up to colour-coordinating your clothes all the time. Dresses are the simplest outfits (in my opinion), so if you're comfortable wearing them, wear them! That's all I can think of for now...hope I helped!
    Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful

Does anybody know any quick, but pretty ways to style my hair?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful

Does anybody know any quick, but pretty ways to style my hair?
    You're welcome! What's your hair like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasagneee)
    You're welcome! What's your hair like?
    It's up to my shoulders, really thick and it's not straight, but not curly. If I brush it, it just goes all over the place and flicks out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExpressYourself1)
    Wear skirts and dresses instead of trousers. Please.
    wrong.

yoga pants. always. and crop tops.

ReputationRep:
    some concealer would help with your spots. maybe nude lip gloss to kind off go with the 'healthy' look? for your hair, try straightening or curling it to waves, depending on your preference, to give it volume.

as for your clothes, as long as it's neat, ut shouldn't matter if it's mismatched.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.