Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure which exact forum this should go in, but since I'm asking mainly in the interest of uni applications, I guessed here.

I was looking around at uni entry requirements and noticed that some did not accept a native language at A-level (or equivalent) as part of their offers. I'm doing the IB (started this semester) and have to do two languages, English A (higher level compulsory) and Swedish A (higher or standard). I chose higher level Swedish because I thought I could do better in it than the only other option, which was business. I do believe the general rule is that A-level = IB HL equivalent, which means that I will apply to uni with two languages at higher level.

My question is, to what extent is it a general rule that British unis won't take a native language at A-level/equivalent? I might still be able to change Swedish to SL but I'm not sure. I know it's possible to contact the universities and ask, but at this point I don't really have a shortlist. Anyone have experience in applying to university with a native language? Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmlag)
    I'm not really sure which exact forum this should go in, but since I'm asking mainly in the interest of uni applications, I guessed here.

I was looking around at uni entry requirements and noticed that some did not accept a native language at A-level (or equivalent) as part of their offers. I'm doing the IB (started this semester) and have to do two languages, English A (higher level compulsory) and Swedish A (higher or standard). I chose higher level Swedish because I thought I could do better in it than the only other option, which was business. I do believe the general rule is that A-level = IB HL equivalent, which means that I will apply to uni with two languages at higher level.

My question is, to what extent is it a general rule that British unis won't take a native language at A-level/equivalent? I might still be able to change Swedish to SL but I'm not sure. I know it's possible to contact the universities and ask, but at this point I don't really have a shortlist. Anyone have experience in applying to university with a native language? Any help would be appreciated.
    Depends on the Uni really...

Durham, Manchester, Southampton, Cardiff etc will accept it as an equal.

LSE, UCL, Exeter and some will not consider it.

(This info is either from their websites or from some emails I've received!)

Best bet is to email the university you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, all right, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    when i applied for hull they accepted mine as a full a level. some universities don't count it, and some count it as half an a level

ReputationRep:
    Is your Swedish course intended for native speakers of Swedish (if so, the unis will be fine with it), or is it intended for people who are learning it as a second language?

If it's the latter, then I would suggest that you email some unis that you're interested in going to, to see what they say about it - given that you're doing IB, they may be more lenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Is your Swedish course intended for native speakers of Swedish (if so, the unis will be fine with it), or is it intended for people who are learning it as a second language?

If it's the latter, then I would suggest that you email some unis that you're interested in going to, to see what they say about it - given that you're doing IB, they may be more lenient.
    It's a language and literature course for native speakers. I ended up changing it to standard level, though, because two languages at higher seemed a bit redundant. Nevertheless, thank you for the information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmlag)
    It's a language and literature course for native speakers. I ended up changing it to standard level, though, because two languages at higher seemed a bit redundant. Nevertheless, thank you for the information!
    If it's for native speakers, then having it at higher level wouldn't have caused you any problems at all.

The only time that problems arise is when native speakers do exams intended for language learners, because then it's not the same level of difficulty at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Does Southampton still accept this as I can't find anything on their websites, thank you!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.