Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am in Year 12 (I know it is early to start thinking about uni but ...). I really want to write a killer PS and be a all around good student. as my GCSE's were not that good! I am studying for my AS Levels; Biology; Chemistry; English Lang&Lit; Psychology, Applied Science (A2 finishing it from Year 11 BTEC) and Statistics. I am hoping for A Bio, A Chem, B English, A Psychology. A* Applied Science and B Stats. For my GCSEs I got; English:C, Maths:C (Resit in November 2013 for a B/A); Core Science:C Additional Science:B, Psychology:B, RE:A, Applied Science:A*A*A*A* and French:A. This year I am doing GCSE Russian and English Lit. I would like to study BioChemistry or Pharmacy at a top university! My personal interests are; Judo, Horse riding, rowing, playing the violin, learning languages and shooting. In school I do the following enrichment; Criminology, DofE (Gold), Tomorrows Teaching (Learning how to be a teacher). Is this a good student?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes you are.

Seriously, what else do you want us to say? Attend some masterclasses/summer schools or something if you want to impress further.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to be considering extra curriculars, but t the end of the day, it's your academics that will define you at this point in your life. Universities do like people who do a lot of stuff, but in all honesty, I'd much rather have better grades than you do at the expense of not caring about music/whatever. Jobs don't care if you've done DofE, so you know... It's just for unis. And you'll get into unis with good grades and less extra curriculars anyway, in fact, even better unis will consider you if you're academics are up to scratch.
    Plus, why are you doing so many A levels? It seems like you're choosing to fail all of them rather than doing 4 A levels which you can boss.
    Tbh, reconsider what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    You are a good student, provided you get the a-levels you have predicted. Your extra-curriculars are more than enough. Top universities only use those to check you're human - they care far more about your subject. To improve your chances, do things directly related to your subject, like the RSC Chemistry Olympiad, and UKMT maths challenges.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.