Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was wondering if I would be allowed to revise by myself instead of attending classes.
    I don't want to attend my Additonal and Triple Science classes because the teaching quality is really poor. My class is too large and too loud to study by myself. I am really studious and just want to do well.
    I never really thought about not attending classes when I was stressed one day about my Maths mock. One of the teachers asked if I wanted to skip my first two lessons and revise in the isolation unit at school. It got me thinking that I could teach myself GCSE Science!
    I think that I could teach myself better because:
    - I am motivated
    - I can follow the AQA board carefully by using bbcbitesize, mygcsescience.com, aqa website and cgp books
    - It would be like one to one (my learning is based around me and not a class as a whole)
    - It would be more efficient and therefore I would be one step closer to my wanted A* grade

The isolation unit at school is used for pupils that are in isolation, pupils that have injured their leg/s, general sixth form study and study for pupils that have dropped a GCSE.

I do not want to drop GCSE Additional and Triple Science. I still want to sit the exams and I want to study it at A Level.

So do you think this is possible in Year 11 (final year)? How would I approach it? Would you tell/ask your teachers? What if they get offended? How would I ask the teacher that offered it to me for Maths.

I want this a long term basis for all science lessons.

Thank you and I hope you understand!
    Message, leave a comment, etc - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, at my school they would require a more valid reason, but maybe you can exaggerate how disruptive the class is - or if there is a teacher your friendly with ask them.

If you don't manage just do the work at home, that's what I did in year 10 for Core Science. Didn't do much work at school cause the teachers were not that good - then taught myself at home afterschool and got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    My school wouldn't allow it, but you could definitely try!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of any state school that would allow it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you really think you're capable of doing it, just talk to your teacher about it and explain the situation, I'm sure they'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I suppose it is worth a try

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.