Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I haven't been here for a while, but I need a bit of help as I plan on sending my UCAS form off this week.

I'm currently applying for a Bsc 3-year Physics course at:

- Birmingham (main option)
    - Bristol
    - Warwick
    - Royal Holloway
    - unconfirmed 5th choice

At Birmingham and many other Uni's, they offer Physics with Astrophysics, and I'm not sure wether to opt for this choice. The requirements are the same and only the course structure differs. My career goal is to become a teacher, so either way both options will be beneficial.

I basically need to decide which is better for me. If anybody has studied the Astrophysics courses or have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest just Physics. It's less specified and will look better on a CV (in my opinion). You will still get the opportunity to incorporate astrophysics into a plain Physics degree, so I wouldn't say you would miss out on much at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryBirds4)
    Hello everyone!

I haven't been here for a while, but I need a bit of help as I plan on sending my UCAS form off this week.

I'm currently applying for a Bsc 3-year Physics course at:

- Birmingham (main option)
    - Bristol
    - Warwick
    - Royal Holloway
    - unconfirmed 5th choice

At Birmingham and many other Uni's, they offer Physics with Astrophysics, and I'm not sure wether to opt for this choice. The requirements are the same and only the course structure differs. My career goal is to become a teacher, so either way both options will be beneficial.

I basically need to decide which is better for me. If anybody has studied the Astrophysics courses or have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Essentially it tends to look better if you have 'with Astrophysics' on the end of a degree and I think that's because the Astro modules are usually slightly harder. If you take 'with Astro' it basically means some or all of your optional modules will be in astro depending where you go. At the end of the day if you decide you aren't enjoying the astro you can just switch onto pure Physics, and also if you took all the astro optional modules after applying for straight Physics then you would essentially have a 'with Astro' degree. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies (although I'm a little late to reply myself). I think I'll be going down the astro route, it's what I've kinda been tending towards, so what's to lose!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanamore)
    Essentially it tends to look better if you have 'with Astrophysics' on the end of a degree and I think that's because the Astro modules are usually slightly harder. If you take 'with Astro' it basically means some or all of your optional modules will be in astro depending where you go. At the end of the day if you decide you aren't enjoying the astro you can just switch onto pure Physics, and also if you took all the astro optional modules after applying for straight Physics then you would essentially have a 'with Astro' degree. Hope that helps
    I don't think that's true at all, those who know about the course will know that astro isn't really harder than other modules, and those that don't likely won't care because they'll just want your math skills. Better to go with the broader degree and specialize within it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.