Turn on thread page Beta

Claiming Freezer Contents watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am in a student flat of 13 rooms. I am on the top floor, have my own kitchenette with sink, fridge and microwave, and yet keep my freezer food in the shared kitchen (two floors below me). Because of the state of the shared kitchen, which I never use, I rarely go down to the kitchen. This evening, when I went down, I noticed all of the food in the freezer was completely defrosted and inedible (some of it completely foul state). The freezer is plugged in as is on, and yet has broken and been broken for the whole weekend. (Someone mentioned early Saturday that the freezer seems a bit warmer than usual, but never went to check later that the food had frozen, and didn't think anything of it). I have contacted the landlord, and they are refusing to pay up on the basis that we didn't contact them as soon as the freezer had broken, even though the house was half-full and no one had used the freezer. They're being incredibly rude about this. Is it in my legal right to claim the contents of this food? I am very disappointed my the response of the housing agency (who act as middle-men to the landlords).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Montagone)
    I am in a student flat of 13 rooms. I am on the top floor, have my own kitchenette with sink, fridge and microwave, and yet keep my freezer food in the shared kitchen (two floors below me). Because of the state of the shared kitchen, which I never use, I rarely go down to the kitchen. This evening, when I went down, I noticed all of the food in the freezer was completely defrosted and inedible (some of it completely foul state). The freezer is plugged in as is on, and yet has broken and been broken for the whole weekend. (Someone mentioned early Saturday that the freezer seems a bit warmer than usual, but never went to check later that the food had frozen, and didn't think anything of it). I have contacted the landlord, and they are refusing to pay up on the basis that we didn't contact them as soon as the freezer had broken, even though the house was half-full and no one had used the freezer. They're being incredibly rude about this. Is it in my legal right to claim the contents of this food? I am very disappointed my the response of the housing agency (who act as middle-men to the landlords).
    Welcome to the site! You're unlikely to find help for this in the Welcome Lounge - that forum is just for people to introduce themselves rather than asking other questions. I've moved your thread to the Student Accommodation forums, where you should be able to find others who can help you.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.