The Student Room Group

Dissertation Topic Help - Anime/Manga!

Hi there,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I just recently went all over trying to decide on a topic for my BA Graphic & Digital Design Dissertation and eventually settled with doing it on Manga &/or Anime, which I have a huge interest in and was advised to do my dissertation on that thing which I like the most.

Now the problem is, I'm not sure where to go with it. I'm lost as to what exact topic to create and would be grateful if you fellow TSR people could provide me with suggestions/ideas.
So far what I have and thought about - the culture as a whole/differences between Anime/manga to western comic/cartoons?
Will Anime and/or Manga be able to fit in/be a competitor in the Western entertainment industry?
Or about the unimaginable and and unreal elements combined with reality which they portray...? I don't know.

I was told that the topic it self doesn't have to include something design related. As long as I can relate and write about that aspect in my dissertation is what counts.

Thank you very much!
(edited 10 years ago)
This is something you need to discuss with the tutor supervising your dissertation.
Its way too precise a topic for anyone here to give you any meaningful advice.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. But I'm sure there are fellow other TSR users who are in to anime and manga that could help me.

I had a talk with one of my tutors and he absolutely likes the idea of me doing my dissertation on Anime/Manga.

Some ideas which I got from him were things such as

Why does anime/manga have an emotional impact more than Western comic/cartoons.

Or the popularity of Manga/Anime in the West. Why? Is it because it's something 'alien'. For a British person such as me, whos from a different ethnic background, to have such a strong connection with Japan than the west?
The development of graphical content in the west, does it have a connection with Japan - meaning influence?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending