Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure what I want to do when I'm in university, either study Medicine, or a mathematical related degree.. I'm wondering what requirements I need for medicine? Including GCSE grades, AS and A Level grades. I'm considering universities such as Cardiff, Birmingham etc.. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamRose)
    I'm not too sure what I want to do when I'm in university, either study Medicine, or a mathematical related degree.. I'm wondering what requirements I need for medicine? Including GCSE grades, AS and A Level grades. I'm considering universities such as Cardiff, Birmingham etc.. Thanks a lot!
    For medicine, Gcses wise should try be as high as possible. I THINK many may let you scrape the barrel with 6 A's or more. Though for Birmingham, i hear they are notorious GCSE hunters and you need something crazy like 7/8 A*s

For A levels, Chemistry is a MUST. Biology is also a must in a way, but SOME allow Physics to be substituted. (Though its probably best to take biology if possible to keep all your doors open).

Maths is obvious but you can sometimes avoid having Further Maths (Sounds weird) providing you score a higher entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    depends what uni, for the better ones they will ask for 6/7A*'s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sick mate.

ReputationRep:
    For Medicine

GCSE's aim for an A/A* in Science and additional science (or biology, chemistry and physics), A/A* in maths and in english as well. The rest aren't too much of a problem, supposing you passed everything!
    AS: Pass in everything including Chemistry and 2 of either Biology, Physics or Maths (Further Maths counts as Maths)
    A2: MUST HAVE CHEMISTRY and 1/2 of either Biology, Physics or Maths

Also most uni's require the UKCAT, some require the BMAT, and pretty much all require you to have some amount of medical-related work experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    For medicine, Gcses wise should try be as high as possible. I THINK many may let you scrape the barrel with 6 A's or more. Though for Birmingham, i hear they are notorious GCSE hunters and you need something crazy like 7/8 A*s

For A levels, Chemistry is a MUST. Biology is also a must in a way, but SOME allow Physics to be substituted. (Though its probably best to take biology if possible to keep all your doors open).

Maths is obvious but you can sometimes avoid having Further Maths (Sounds weird) providing you score a higher entry requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in year 11 right now, so I've officially achieved an A* in my math GCSE, I'm re-sitting the majority of my science exams this year to hopefully achieve an A*(I am doing separate science)
    In school I'm predicted 7A* 2As and 1B (target for pe)
    I'm not sure if I could achieve them, it seems too high for me x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)
    For Medicine

GCSE's aim for an A/A* in Science and additional science (or biology, chemistry and physics), A/A* in maths and in english as well. The rest aren't too much of a problem, supposing you passed everything!
    AS: Pass in everything including Chemistry and 2 of either Biology, Physics or Maths (Further Maths counts as Maths)
    A2: MUST HAVE CHEMISTRY and 1/2 of either Biology, Physics or Maths

Also most uni's require the UKCAT, some require the BMAT, and pretty much all require you to have some amount of medical-related work experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose
    What is UKCAT and BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TirnanF)
    depends what uni, for the better ones they will ask for 6/7A*'s
    Is Oxbridge too high of a university to even think of?

ReputationRep:
    What is UKCAT and BMAT?
    UK Clinical Aptitude Test
    and the
    Biomedical Admissions Test

Sadly registration for both has closed, and also the deadline for medicine is the day after tomorrow so you'd have to apply next year

ReputationRep:
    7 A*s and 2 As are probably enough to be honest.

There isnt such a thing as a 'best' medical school and pretty much teach extremely similar stuff in comparison to other subjects where specifications are generally unique.

Theres an extremely low deviation between universities, so basically theres low spread. Entry requirements are either AAA or A*AA (Some ask for an A grade or B grade in the AS level). Therefore I would personally say all medicine schools are open to you, if you achieve the required AS grades.

UKCAT and BMAT are just external exams you pay for yourself to sit at a centre. Gives you a score on how 'literate' you are in numeracy, literacy etc.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in year 11 right now, so I've officially achieved an A* in my math GCSE, I'm re-sitting the majority of my science exams this year to hopefully achieve an A*(I am doing separate science)
    In school I'm predicted 7A* 2As and 1B (target for pe)
    I'm not sure if I could achieve them, it seems too high for me x

ReputationRep:
    UK Clinical Aptitude Test
    and the
    Biomedical Admissions Test

Sadly registration for both has closed, and also the deadline for medicine is the day after tomorrow so you'd have to apply next year

I'm in year 11 right now.. When do I need to apply?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 right now.. When do I need to apply?
    Oh that's alright then! Don't worry about those until the summer between year 12 and year 13
    For now, just destroy your GCSEs and pick Chemistry, Biology, Physics and/or Maths for AS!

ReputationRep:
    7 A*s and 2 As are probably enough to be honest.

There isnt such a thing as a 'best' medical school and pretty much teach extremely similar stuff in comparison to other subjects where specifications are generally unique.

Theres an extremely low deviation between universities, so basically theres low spread. Entry requirements are either AAA or A*AA (Some ask for an A grade or B grade in the AS level). Therefore I would personally say all medicine schools are open to you, if you achieve the required AS grades.

UKCAT and BMAT are just external exams you pay for yourself to sit at a centre. Gives you a score on how 'literate' you are in numeracy, literacy etc.
    Are GCSE grades looked upon favourably?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's alright then! Don't worry about those until the summer between year 12 and year 13
    For now, just destroy your GCSEs and pick Chemistry, Biology, Physics and/or Maths for AS!
    Do I need Biology A level?
    I was planning to take Chemistry, Physics, Math and Further Math..
    I was also considering English Lit or Biology only up to As though, not sure x

ReputationRep:
    Do I need Biology A level?
    I was planning to take Chemistry, Physics, Math and Further Math..
    I was also considering English Lit or Biology only up to As though, not sure x
    You don't need it, but if you don't enjoy Biology you might not enjoy medicine :/ I've spoken to some medics and they say years 1 &2 are mostly Biology-related, also some uni's might be a bit curious as to why you don't take it x

ReputationRep:
    Are GCSE grades looked upon favourably?
    Not too much no. More of a filtering system i would say. (Partly because most medics will have 5 A*s+ anyways)

For medicine people, i guess UKCAT score will be fairly important (something you dont have to worry about until after AS) and personal statement. (AS grades are often again very similar for medics)

ReputationRep:
    You don't need it, but if you don't enjoy Biology you might not enjoy medicine :/ I've spoken to some medics and they say years 1 &2 are mostly Biology-related, also some uni's might be a bit curious as to why you don't take it x

Right now in school we are learning more about plants in biology, it's not that interesting.. We haven't done much on human biology, I think I'd be mote interested in that

ReputationRep:
    Right now in school we are learning more about plants in biology, it's not that interesting.. We haven't done much on human biology, I think I'd be mote interested in that
    Ah yeah, I don't like plants much either, but there's a lot more health/human body stuff in the A-level course!

ReputationRep:
    Not too much no. More of a filtering system i would say. (Partly because most medics will have 5 A*s+ anyways)

For medicine people, i guess UKCAT score will be fairly important (something you dont have to worry about until after AS) and personal statement. (AS grades are often again very similar for medics)

I guess all I can do right now is try my best at my GCSEs, then focus on that later x

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, I don't like plants much either, but there's a lot more health/human body stuff in the A-level course!
    I will definitely consider it x

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.