Turn on thread page Beta

So theres this girl I've known for ages and we get on really well and stuff and recently I've started to develop feelings for her. She's like my closest friend and we talk all the time, so unsurprisingly when I told her how I feel she said that she sees me as a friend.. Obviously I was pretty distraught about it but I tried to move on and just see her as a friend, but as time's passed my feelings for her have only got stronger to the point where I think about her all the time and it's getting really painful. So about a week ago I told her I needed space to get over her and I haven't spoken to her since then, but I really miss her considering I used to speak to her pretty much every day.. She's the most amazing girl I know and I don't want to not speak to her, but I don't feel like I can go back to just being friends with her like before after this.
    Any suggestions, cos I'm completely lost and don't know what to do? Should I speak to her again or hold off for a bit longer?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Move on, theres plenty of fish in the sea, I know from experience you will find another girl which you think is amazing and then this one will be a distant memory.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, these situations incredibly rarely work out well. If you get it wrong you subject yourself to years of angst. The key is to find a good a good relationship and THEN be friends with her. Sorry, but it's true..

ReputationRep:
    I have this from the girls point of view...but it is solvable to an extent. I developed feeling for my best friend and he lead me on a bit because he liked our cuddles and the attention. It went for about 2 years to be honest, gradually getting closer and closer until he broke it to me that he didn't want a relationship. Hurt me a lot to be honest. Hardly spoke to him for a month or two but he'd been my best friend for over 5 years and he knows me more than anyone. So eventually we just began talking again and I'm still best friends with him now. It is hard, because even now I still have the urge to ask him for a cuddle or whatever but at least I know where I stand now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its hard but moving on is the only thing you can do. Talking to her leads to grief because it will remind you of what you don't have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hold off if you need time away. A few years ago I told a guy friend I had feelings for him, he didn't really handle the situation well to be honest. He wasn't direct about not liking me and made out he was seeing someone when he wasn't. All he had to do is be honest. Anyway I stopped talking to him for a while then we slowly rebuilt our friendship. I think it took up to a year for things to be back to normal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2014
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.