Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Can a Focusrite Saffire series, like Pro14 or Pro24, be a usb external sound card for laptop? As I am seeking a device for both studio recording and sound quality enhancing for my laptop(ordinary sound card inside).

Or may anyone suggest some good equipment which can satisfy my needs? My budget is £200.

ReputationRep:
    How many inputs do you need?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean how many instruments will I play together connecting with the audio interface?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a sense yes. However that being said, you could have 17000 instruments and still process them through a 2 channel card simply by recording individually. If you only need to record one instrument at a time you would technically only NEED a 2 in 2 out. If you have multiple instruments, multiple outputs just make things a bit easier is all.

My best advice is, if you are not running a recording studio and don't NEED the additional outputs, stick with 2. Spend your budget on GOOD quality AD converters rather than succumbing to the marketing BS and following the false sense of bigger is better.

The Apogee Duet/Solo is still (to me) the best sounding interface I've used and it's fairly affordable (>400). Focusrite get good reviews but I've never used one successfully.

SHort answer to your original question though, yes your FR would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubz.)
    In a sense yes. However that being said, you could have 17000 instruments and still process them through a 2 channel card simply by recording individually. If you only need to record one instrument at a time you would technically only NEED a 2 in 2 out. If you have multiple instruments, multiple outputs just make things a bit easier is all.

My best advice is, if you are not running a recording studio and don't NEED the additional outputs, stick with 2. Spend your budget on GOOD quality AD converters rather than succumbing to the marketing BS and following the false sense of bigger is better.

The Apogee Duet/Solo is still (to me) the best sounding interface I've used and it's fairly affordable (>400). Focusrite get good reviews but I've never used one successfully.

SHort answer to your original question though, yes your FR would be fine.
    Usually one instrument only but I may use it with my friends together sometimes so more input will be suitable for me( 4-5 instruments at max).

By the way, can Apogee Duet/Solo or FR I've mentioned simply act as a sound card for my laptop to play music by proper speakers or headphones too? As my latop's sound card is poor... I cannot even listen to music properly.

Sorry for too many questions as I am new to this electronic equipment.

ReputationRep:
    Don't apologise mate, it's how you learn!

Yes, pretty much every USB/Firewire audio interface you use will effectively replace your stock sound card. It's usually simply plug and play... plug the sound card in via USB and configure your computer to output via the interface and HAPPY DAYS!

It all comes down to money (as usual). If you will require good quality outputs and inputs, use your budget accordingly (lower AMOUNT of ins/outs but better quality). If you NEED the extra inputs then you'll have to settle for lower quality!

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubz.)
    Don't apologise mate, it's how you learn!

Yes, pretty much every USB/Firewire audio interface you use will effectively replace your stock sound card. It's usually simply plug and play... plug the sound card in via USB and configure your computer to output via the interface and HAPPY DAYS!

It all comes down to money (as usual). If you will require good quality outputs and inputs, use your budget accordingly (lower AMOUNT of ins/outs but better quality). If you NEED the extra inputs then you'll have to settle for lower quality!

Hope that helps.
    Great! Thx for help. However, I still need to wait until I finish my mid-term CHEMISTRY exam in late October. Maybe I will try the sound effect of different models in some local shop first if possible.

ReputationRep:
    No probs man. Yeah just remember you are only as good as your weakest link. Start saving for some speakers!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.