Turn on thread page Beta

Why do schools/colleges have black history week? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I would just like to start by saying that I am in no way racist. Can somebody please explain to me why educational institutions in England have a designated black history week?
    We teach children that everyone is the same etc from as soon as they are old enough to understand, so why do we then have black history week which surely i just another way of segregating people? What about white history week, chinese history week etc. Why is 'black history' not just incorporated into history lessons in general?.

ReputationRep:
    Because Black history is not worthy enough to stand up to other categories of history on its' own merit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why it is expected that Britain have a large extensive history involving black people when most of them moved here 60 years ago. Most people don't care about race.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was black history month?

ReputationRep:
    White liberal guilt. I don't see why, as Morgan Freeman puts it, blacks should have their history confined to a month. It's a patronising celebration which simultaneously puts blacks on a pedestal - if there is a black month then there should logically be one for every other race, including whites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    White liberal guilt. I don't see why, as Morgan Freeman puts it, blacks should have their history confined to a month. It's a patronising celebration which simultaneously puts blacks on a pedestal - if there is a black month then there should logically be one for every other race, including whites.
    This. The idea of recognizing diverse history is important, but Black History Month is bull****.

And yeah, half black.

ReputationRep:
    For black people

I think it's pointless though

ReputationRep:
    ''[I notice there's no white history month]''
    Morgan Freeman on black history month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobsafish)
    Hey, I would just like to start by saying that I am in no way racist. Can somebody please explain to me why educational institutions in England have a designated black history week?
    We teach children that everyone is the same etc from as soon as they are old enough to understand, so why do we then have black history week which surely i just another way of segregating people? What about white history week, chinese history week etc. Why is 'black history' not just incorporated into history lessons in general?.
    Just because we're taught that doesn't mean that we treat others equally. We don't live in a post-racial world where the colour of your skin doesn't impact your quality of life.

Edit: You may not be racist but it's pretty obvious from your naivety that you're very privileged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I don't understand why it is expected that Britain have a large extensive history involving black people when most of them moved here 60 years ago. Most people don't care about race.
    The ones that don't care about race are the ones that haven't experienced it or had a loved one be racially abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro95)
    Just because we're taught that doesn't mean that we treat others equally. We don't live in a post-racial world where the colour of your skin doesn't impact your quality of life.Edit: You may not be racist but it's pretty obvious from your naivety that you're very privileged.
    Privileged!?!?!? That actually made me laugh. I cone from one of the worst areas in this country, my mum is a cleaner and works 2 jobs totalling 12 hours a day and always has. I currently live in a rented 2 bedroom flat with both of my children and regularly can't eat a meal so that they can and we very nearly found ourselves homeless last month. Privileged? Definately not.

ReputationRep:
    Privileged!?!?!? That actually made me laugh. I cone from one of the worst areas in this country, my mum is a cleaner and works 2 jobs totalling 12 hours a day and always has. I currently live in a rented 2 bedroom flat with both of my children and regularly can't eat a meal so that they can and we very nearly found ourselves homeless last month. Privileged? Definately not.
    Privileged in a race sense, since you seem to think racism's been completely eradicated, which it hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my teacher about this and she because us blacks have lost the majority of our heritage so in compensation we have a month to dedicate ourselves.
    I call bull****; why not Asian history month or White history month?
    It also contradicts the fact that we're all equal; if so, then why do we have a black history month?

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and I hate black history month as well. I hate that it singles black people out as needing special attention, I hate that they have categorized history by race. Jamaican history has sweet FA to do with Ugandan history beyond slavery, even Ghanaian history hasn't got much to do with Ugandan history. It's about as sensitive as lumping English and Bulgarian history into one category just because they are both white people. Ironically a lot of so called black history is actually just American history. Not saying we shouldn't learn about Martin Luther King Jr because he was an extremely important figure but the civil rights struggle was hardly the entirety of thousands of years worth of the history of black people. Black history books tend to read;"Once upon a time some slaves turned up in America and thus black people came into existence" Everything that happened in Africa before the Europeans turned up is ignored.

I am perfectly happy to learn only English history in this country; after all I am in England and when I was in Jamaica I learnt plenty Jamaican history. However I do think that there should be breadth beyond Europe but not in the misguided way of "black history month". How about history by region and schools cover all the major regions of earth? That way everyone gets equal exposure and it has nothing to do with race.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. The idea of a special month just for black people is contradictory to the idea of equality. Black history belongs with all other history, yet instead it's treated as an unwanted addition to "proper white history" and segregated from regular academia.

As others have said, either have a month for each race (which is stupid, as history is affected by geography and time rather than race), or incorporate it into regular history classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falseprofit)
    Because Black history is not worthy enough to stand up to other categories of history on its' own merit.
    The Mali Empire bankrolling Southern Europe for the whole of the middle ages with their vast gold and salt reserves
    Not important
    The African theatre of the Cold War which was fought largely between Africans
    Not important
    The Ethiopian Kingdom of Aksum which commercially linked The Roman Empire with India
    Not important
    The Zimbabwean Kingdom of Mutapa which Traded with both the Portuguese and Arabs.
    Not important.

Black people actually have a strong trading contribution to world history because unlike what racists like you think Africa wasn't full of savages running around mindlessly with spears. There were plenty large and sophisticated kingdoms sitting atop the most mineral rich lands on the planet. At first the Europeans traded nicely but once they got the technological advantage they decided to be unsporting and just plain break up and rob the African states leading to the situation today. Without all this trade Europe wouldn't have gotten half as rich and powerful as it did seeing as they didn't actually have the muscle to forcibly take what they wanted until well into the 19th century.

ReputationRep:
    This "if we're equal, why should a certain group be treated differently?" argument is so, so, so dated and has been unproven so, so, so many times that I find hard to believe some still use it.

I will, though, spill it out again: equality is not about treating everyone as if complete equals, but equally treating their different states and conditions. It would be quite cynical to do what many of you see as rightfully "fair" and "democractic", because we do NOT live in a colorful world where what makes those said groups "different" does not have any impact on their well-being and very own existence. The universal declaration of human rights can ramble on how much they want about how we are born equal in color, faith, culture etc, but it does NOT lessen the practical implications of such traits.

Black History Month, though, is bull****. And it is bull**** because it is still history written by the very same oppressors who have been biasedly writing everything we conceive as history since we are born. It is no in way liberating to the black communities (plural, mind you), nor does it demonstrate any kind of magnanimity from said oppressors, as if they were trying to make up for something. It is in fact the sheer condescedency that one would expect from such people. I think we can do without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro95)
    Just because we're taught that doesn't mean that we treat others equally. We don't live in a post-racial world where the colour of your skin doesn't impact your quality of life.

Edit: You may not be racist but it's pretty obvious from your naivety that you're very privileged.
    There are two kinds of white racist around today in Britain:

1. Proper neo-nazis. These are nasty pieces of work obviously, and nobody trusts them, for good reason.

2. Racists who call themselves "liberal" - ironically, perhaps. These people view "brown people" as genetically inferior, and as such, do not expect them to exhibit sophisticated levels of behaviour. When they notice somebody behaving like a moron, they will be very reluctant to criticise them for it unless it is a white moron. They love to think that all of the world's problems are the fault of "white people" and sincerely enjoy mocking Western civilisation for the most minor of offences (I should note that I and other non-racists view Western civilisation as distinct from "white people"; in the racists' world-view however, they are synonymous - much as they are synonymous in the neo-Nazis' world-view). In these people's eyes, the world is divided into the oppressors - the white people - and the oppressed - the non-white people. When these people hear stupid ideas, they go through a subconscious filter in their brain before judgement, which works something like this:

"How much brown skin is involved?"
    Practically none: "how MORONIC is that?!" (e.g. Mormonism)
    Only a little bit: "that's a really ridiculous idea, isn't it!" (e.g. Judaism)
    Quite a lot: "well, we should respect people's beliefs." (e.g. Pentecostal Christianity)
    Massive amounts: "you are a racist if you criticise this idea." (e.g. Islam)

All of the mentioned examples are very bad ideas with no good reasons for belief whatsoever, factually at least. Racists, however, don't see it that way.

This second category of racist seems to be far more insidious and far more numerous in fact, than the former, and I suspect that you are dangerously close to being in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heteronym)
    This "if we're equal, why should a certain group be treated differently?" argument is so, so, so dated and has been unproven so, so, so many times that I find hard to believe some still use it.

I will, though, spill it out again: equality is not about treating everyone as if complete equals, but equally treating their different states and conditions. It would be quite cynical to do what many of you see as rightfully "fair" and "democractic", because we do NOT live in a colorful world where what makes those said groups "different" does not have any impact on their well-being and very own existence. The universal declaration of human rights can ramble on how much they want about how we are born equal in color, faith, culture etc, but it does NOT lessen the practical implications of such traits.

Black History Month, though, is bull****. And it is bull**** because it is still history written by the very same oppressors who have been biasedly writing everything we conceive as history since we are born. It is no in way liberating to the black communities (plural, mind you), nor does it demonstrate any kind of magnanimity from said oppressors, as if they were trying to make up for something. It is in fact the sheer condescedency that one would expect from such people. I think we can do without it.
    No, our society needs to learn to be less racist by stopping talking about race! We need to view each other as humans, as individuals and our skin colour as no more significant than our hair colour! Only then will we be free as human beings. Racism is an ideology, and you believe in it. You may believe in a different strain of it to the imperialist oppressors of the 19th century which you surely despise (as do I), but it's racism all the same. If you were truly non-racist, you would not be grouping people into races and treating them differently based on the values you have assigned to that group. That is what you are doing, and it is the essence of racism.

I agree with the last paragraph though. People who advocate Black history month (as opposed to "Human history year") are stuck in a racist world, but you are too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    No, our society needs to learn to be less racist by stopping talking about race! We need to view each other as humans, as individuals and our skin colour as no more significant than our hair colour! Only then will we be free as human beings. Racism is an ideology, and you believe in it. You may believe in a different strain of it to the imperialist oppressors of the 19th century which you surely despise (as do I), but it's racism all the same. If you were truly non-racist, you would not be grouping people into races and treating them differently based on the values you have assigned to that group. That is what you are doing, and it is the essence of racism.

I agree with the last paragraph though. People who advocate Black history month (as opposed to "Human history year") are stuck in a racist world, but you are too.
    Why, of course I am racist. So are you, I'm reluctant to say. We are two rational prejudice-ridden beings.

However, moving further from our innate qualities (or lack thereof), I believe I haven't made myself clear. Whilst you focus on the discourse of the tackling of racism, one to which I do agree, I actually tried to be more practical. There is no such a thing as black community (I even tried to ammend it but putting it in plural form) and it is ignorant to generalise it in such way, but as a whole we might be dealing with some common problems regarding the conditions of said communities - and that is because many of them have suffered from similiar treatments. I am not assigning any values to any of them, but we do have to look at this objectively - and then we will find some very practical and telling data. Why do black people live less and are more often victims of fatal crimes? Why are there more black amongst the poor portion of the society? Why is there a smaller percentage of black people receiving higher education than the percentage of how much they account for in terms of population?

It does sound bad and I'll give you that, but, hey, we are answering to a thread who made the generalisation in the first place. One of the reasons why Black Month History is bull**** is precisely because we can't actually put together a "black history". Just as we can't look at a whole continent (Africa) and treat is a sole country, which we often do.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.